Painting over high gloss tiles advice

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Sam James

Painting over high gloss tiles advice

Post by Sam James » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:49 am

I have moved into my house and have 2 x 1957 fire places which have high gloss cream brown tiling. I would like to paint them white. I would like any advice on prepping and which undercoat/paint to use?

Many thanks in advance

Sam

Shannon

Re: Painting over high gloss tiles advice

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:33 am

Well I have never done this myself but IMO you will need to sand the tile to dull the surface so the primer can adhere . I would try about a 100 grit paper and be sure to get all the edges as well. Wipe the entire surface after with a damp towel or sponge to remove dust and dry with a lint free cloth. Next I would use a primer like Zinnsers Bondz to prime the entire surface, After that dries you can paint as you want.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Re: Painting over high gloss tiles advice

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:19 pm

I would recommend consulting with a paint dealer (not a big box), they know their products and what would be the best to use in your situation.

I agree with Shannon that sanding to break the gloss/glaze of the tile to give the primer something to bite into will be essential to good coverage and long lasting finish.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.