Basement framing around finished window

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
csankar69

Basement framing around finished window

Post by csankar69 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:12 am

I'm framing my basement using steel studs. I have this window on the window well (see pictures - window1 & window2) that's already finished and flush with the concrete wall (i.e., there is no room for drywall to be attached to the window frame). How do I frame around this window (I don't want to remove or redo the window)?

I was able to frame around another window (see picture - window3) so that the drywall can be attached to the window frame and can go flush there.
Attachments
window1.jpg
window1.jpg (71.82 KiB) Viewed 305 times
window2.jpg
window2.jpg (95.77 KiB) Viewed 305 times
window3.jpg
window3.jpg (189.44 KiB) Viewed 305 times

Shannon

Re: Basement framing around finished window

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:22 pm

So it appears to me that those windows have a "drywall return" groove in the frame. This is a recessed grove that you can slip the edge of drywall into at the window and then it would be screwed to framing at the face of the interior wall, creating a drywall surface /finish around the opening.
Hard to tell from the picture but there should be room to do that,I think?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

csankar69

Post by csankar69 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:52 pm

Hi Shannon, not sure what you mean by the groove? All the sides of the window look like the window1 picture (which shows the top of the window) that I have above.

Does the drywall screw into the window side/frame (or the groove as you refer to it)? That's my question - how does the drywall attach to the window (I know I can screw it into the metal stud framing in front of the window)?

Thanks.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:27 am

In picture 2 it looks like there is a recessed area in the perimeter of the frame where you could insert drywall? Maybe its just some shadows or something?
Even if you don't have that you can simply butt drywall to the window framed screw it to the framing. If you do it nice and cleanly then you can simply caulk the seam after, if not you may have to flat tape and then caulk after sanding and priming.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

csankar69

Post by csankar69 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:44 am

I checked and there is a small recess on 3 of the sides (no recess in the bottom). The width of the recess is 1/2" or slightly lower (so drywall may not fit in).

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:19 pm

if it fits that will work if not just butt the drywall to the vinyl like mentioned before.