Refinishing hard wood floors

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Jholeah

Refinishing hard wood floors

Post by Jholeah » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:39 pm

Hello, I asked a question on one of your you tube videos. Your answer to the part about gouges in the floors was "Hopefully these deep gouges are not very wide of it will not work well for either of these fillers. " They are quite wide. A few probably at least a inch but they are not as deep and one at least a inch and a half and kind of round. So the "stainable filler or use sanding dust from the floor sanding process in other areas and mix it with some carpenters glue." will not work? Do you think a epoxy would work? Someone told me I may be able to add the sawdust to the epoxy and fill them. The biggest gouge must have been there because it is smooth. I love the look of it but not the hole itself. I do also have another question. I read you should not seal and finish hard wood floors in the winter. Is that correct? I think it said the temp should be 70 degrees or above?
Thanks again.

Shannon

Re: Refinishing hard wood floors

Post by Shannon » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:37 am

Those are really big gouges and the two suggestions for filling i had will not work well but the epoxy may I cant say for sure.
If the floors are near exterior walls that surface area will be colder but I have never had an issue. But you could for sure with a water based finish. The floors in the video where done in middle of February last year and it was around -20C (-5F ish)
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:24 pm

One other thing , I doubt you will be able to sand the epoxy so it needs to be filled to a point that it is just filling the gouges.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Jholeah

Post by Jholeah » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:39 pm

Thank you so much Shannon. I will try the epoxy in the back room first. Well that is wonderful. So I can start on them now. This is a house on piers not on a slab. We don't usuallu get that cold. Usually about 28 to 30 F for a day or two at the most. Of course this year is strange. But I will try anyway.
Thanks. I was also told that about the epoxy. I plan to be very careful to not go over.
Thanks again. Have a blessed day.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:41 am

You may want to experiment on a scrap piece of wood before hand?
Im interested how it works out on the floor and a picture of before and after as well if you could. Thanks and good luck.

Jholeah

Post by Jholeah » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:47 pm

Thanks. Did not think of trying on a scrap piece first. I will try my best to remember to take pictures. It won't be till after Thanksgiving. Thanks again.