Epoxy Fillers

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
A. Spruce

Epoxy Fillers

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:04 pm

Hey guys, I have a situation where termites have eaten subfloor and 3/4" solid oak flooring. The owner suggested using an epoxy, rather than replacing pieces of the oak, and that it could be tinted/colored to match the floor.

I know that epoxies have become quite popular, but I have not seen or used one myself. Anyone have any experience with them, can you recommend a particular brand/type?

This is one of the larger areas, about 10" x 2-1/2", this same room has two other spots approx 4" to 6". Other rooms have spots that range from pin holes to spots about 1" in diameter.
S1500022B.JPG
S1500022B.JPG (236.3 KiB) Viewed 386 times
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

emtnut

Re: Epoxy Fillers

Post by emtnut » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:23 pm

Just my opinion, but epoxy 'can' work as a DIY solution to small cracks.... As long as you don't mind seeing the lines left after. You can somewhat match color, but never the wood grain.

For a hole that size, it's replace the board(s) or walk away from the job.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:26 pm

We just had someone else ask about epoxy for fixing a hardwood floor.
I really don't know if it will work or not or what it will look like. That person was told to mix in wood dust, i guess like you would with a wood dust /glue fix for small fixes?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:27 pm

emtnut wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:23 pm
Just my opinion, but epoxy 'can' work as a DIY solution to small cracks.... As long as you don't mind seeing the lines left after. You can somewhat match color, but never the wood grain.

For a hole that size, it's replace the board(s) or walk away from the job.
My feelings exactly! I'd rather replace a few pieces of flooring. One problem is I suspect the wood is glued down to the wood subfloor, so removal could cause even more damage than what's already there with the critter munching.

Shannon: Not having been around as much lately, I don't think I've seen the other epoxy thread/comments. I'm pretty certain that adding dust or shavings isn't going to have the desired effect of color or grain, especially since part of the reason for using it is that it's pourable, so that it fills all the holes and voids. I definitely want to do a lot more research into epoxy and how to use it before attempting anything. I don't think it will do what the home owner thinks it's going to.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:52 am

What about cutting out the damaged board area and adding in a new piece of oak? I would try that, I think it wont be perfect but still better than epoxy for that large of area. Your oscillating saw is your friend foe this job.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:07 pm

I haven't gotten to use my O-tool yet, Saw and drill work great! :mrgreen:

Client is the one wanting to use epoxy, I'd rather replace material. I suspect it might be glued down, which could cause even more damage when removed, unless I use a router. Just have to be absolutely certain that there are no nails!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:30 am

Client is king, but if it was mine i would try removal/replacement.
Here is the other thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9132