Ceiling fix

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
gto49

Ceiling fix

Post by gto49 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:39 pm

Hi Shannon,

We are almost done our renos, and after getting the mudding and painting done (hired a good local guy to do it last summer), I noticed the ceiling in the dining room redeveloped a crack that he "fixed." It runs where an old wall was removed that separated the dining room and living room some time ago, to open up the space. He suggested using DryDex, but I've never used it before and not sure if that will fix the issue of the crack reappearing. There are actually two cracks, running parallel to each other, about 4" apart.
On a vacation trip this summer, we stayed in a place that had ceiling beams, and that gave me the idea to put in a faux beam as a solution. So yesterday I checked the joist locations with a stud finder, and found that the crack runs pretty much between, and parallel to, the ceiling joists, from the outer wall to an inside wall.
Now I have no idea how the old wall was attached to the ceiling joists -- if they were attached at all. Nor can I figure out how the previous owner patched the ceiling where the wall used to be. We also upgraded our insulation in the attic so I'm reluctant to go up there wading through it to check it out.
My idea was to attach a 2x4 to the ceiling to cover the cracks and to hang the fake beam off of, a simple three-sided box using 1x6s and a 1x4, with the fourth side being the 2x4. Since there seems to be nothing to attach the 2x4 to but gyproc, I'm stymied.
So, I'm wondering if you have any ideas or suggestions to get rid of, or hide, that annoying crack.
Ron

A. Spruce

Re: Ceiling fix

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:58 pm

If the cracks were taped properly, it's odd that they're cracking again so quickly. I think I'd be inclined to retape them with paper tape, however, your faux beam idea would work well too. Because it's a faux beam, it can be attached to the drywall itself with molly bolts, one every 4' or so will be sufficient.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:49 am

Yes , i would agree that the seams where maybe never taped originally so they have now developed a crack? The old wall would have been attached into 2x4 blocking that is spaced between the existing rafters every few feet or so. If the ceiling is smooth you could find them with a stud finder.
The faux beam will work easy as well.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Clarence

Post by Clarence » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:39 am

You used the term GYPROC if you have a Gypsum base board with a Plaster finish & a drywall product was used for the repair than you cannot stop the cracking. You must use the proper plaster repair material.

gto49

Post by gto49 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:06 am

Ok, thanks for the replies fellows! I didn't see how that repair was done, so I'm not sure if he used paper tape. I assumed he did, but maybe not.
Yes, I used the term GYPROC. The house is an RTM product built in the early '70s, and for the walls anyways, they used 3/8" thick gypsum board :(. For our remodel efforts, I had to order the same thickness when we refinished our kitchen walls. The ceiling would have the same stuff.
So, do you guys think I should try remudding the crack using paper or fiberglass tape this time? I guess if it does crack again, I can then try the faux beam idea attaching it to the ceiling with molly bolts.
Thanks again!
Ron

gto49

Post by gto49 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:28 am

Shannon, I thought of the blocking between the rafters too -- that's how I would have done it, but nothing shows up using the stud finder traveling along the seam. The span from the outer wall to the existing inside wall in the dining room is just over 9' so it wouldn't surprise me at all if the original wall was attached to the two walls and the floor, and nothing to the ceiling (good enough, eh).
In doing the renovations in some of the other rooms, I found some really weird construction practices... making me shake my head more than once.
Ron

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:29 am

I'd try retaping first, with paper tape. If you are not happy with the results, then move to the faux beams.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

gto49

Post by gto49 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:19 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:29 am
I'd try retaping first, with paper tape. If you are not happy with the results, then move to the faux beams.
Ok, that's the route I'll go. Thanks.
Ron

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:19 am

gto49 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:28 am
Shannon, I thought of the blocking between the rafters too -- that's how I would have done it, but nothing shows up using the stud finder traveling along the seam. The span from the outer wall to the existing inside wall in the dining room is just over 9' so it wouldn't surprise me at all if the original wall was attached to the two walls and the floor, and nothing to the ceiling (good enough, eh).
In doing the renovations in some of the other rooms, I found some really weird construction practices... making me shake my head more than once.
That is entirely possible, not recommended but possible. :D :lol:
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon