Just bought first house, already damp issues!

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
drummersteve

Just bought first house, already damp issues!

Post by drummersteve » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:36 pm

Hi everyone, first post here and first-time buyer also! Bought a house which has had a somewhat makeshift extension put on the side. The area of garden that used to be between the external wall of the house, and the boundary wall separating our property from next doors property had been roofed over with a glass pergola and sliding glass doors. All is watertight (in theory), and proper flooring etc has been put in.

We visited the house a number of times during the purchase process, and noticed damp/mould on the new ‘interior’ wall which used to be the boundary wall between the two properties. The old exterior walls of the house which are now interior were and are absolutely fine.

We were assured by various people that the damp patches was due to a leak at the join between the pergola and the boundary wall. It seemed to make sense as there were some water tide marks immediately below the join. This was fixed. It was also written into the purchase/sale agreement contract that the humidity caused by the roof would be fixed.

Long story short, we went back today and the damp is back, even after new luck of paint.

The damp is in the middle of the wall. Ie, it does not appear to be emanating from the ceiling not the floor. It’s not just a little bit damp - when I run my finger, it is very wet! As a result, mould is forming. Despite the whole wall being an external boundary wall, only this one specific area is a problem. This is the only patch of damp in the whole house - it’s not a humid climate here in Ecuador, and no central heating. No condensation on any windows either.

The other side of the wall is external for the neighbors. Their garage is right the other side (open garage without a main door, more like a covered parking space) so I don’t imagine there are any pipes running inside the wall, but we’re going to ask. I’m going to try attach pictures, if anyone has any suggestions as to what might be causing the patches of damp, please reply to me!!

Thank you in advance for any help.
Attachments
90B472FD-4D36-48B1-90B9-C86424BE19E3.png
90B472FD-4D36-48B1-90B9-C86424BE19E3.png (302.08 KiB) Viewed 315 times
C2A56531-60E2-4B22-AD77-181EBB64B230.png
C2A56531-60E2-4B22-AD77-181EBB64B230.png (349.17 KiB) Viewed 315 times
09D02AF3-B042-4986-A4D2-E28DCB216973.jpeg
09D02AF3-B042-4986-A4D2-E28DCB216973.jpeg (73.18 KiB) Viewed 315 times

A. Spruce

Re: Just bought first house, already damp issues!

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:55 am

That is definitely a strange thing. I would guess either a roof leak or pipe leak in the wall. Opening up the wall will likely be the only way to figure it out.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:40 am

So is this wall above ground? Also what is the of the wall, do you know? is it plastered or drywall or cement block or what?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

drummersteve

Post by drummersteve » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:48 am

The wall is above ground, yes. In fact the neighboring house is a little lower then ours, so their ground is lower then our ground.

I believe it is normal brick (excuse my lack of technical terms) - the normal orange/brown type brick you would find on the exterior of house. This has then presumably been plastered over and painted. I should think the wall only consists of this type of brick. Next time I go the house I’ll check and report back!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:39 pm

Hmm its absorbing moisture form somewhere? Can we get a picture of the wall from both sides from a little ways back so we can get a better idea of what you have .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

drummersteve

Post by drummersteve » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:51 pm

Absolutely, next time I go I’ll take as many pictures as possible within reason and share them. Other side might be difficult as it is neighbors land, who we’ve not yet met. Will see what we can do!