Pet urine smell

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Deepakb

Pet urine smell

Post by Deepakb » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:39 pm

Hi ALl,

bought our first house, there is so much of pet's urine smell in a room on the first floor of the house. removed carpet, underlayment, and wet Moped the floor nicely. bad Smell reduced by 90% percent but still smells.

there is stick and peel vinyl sheet on the concrete. do i need to remove that too to get ride of 10% remaining smell. can that be the reason of remaining smell?

Shannon

Re: Pet urine smell

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:45 pm

Is this individual tiles or a sheet material? If its individual tiles there could be residual urine in the spaces between the tiles? If its a full sheet material and in good condition then I would think it would not have absorbed the urine? Are you sure its not something else in the room like maybe the lower drywall or door trims. A cat or dog could have been spraying against the lower portions of anything in that room.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Deepakb

Post by Deepakb » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:01 pm

its individual tiles. All four walls in the room are drywalls but they are no soggy at this time. not sure if previous owner might have done something there to hide it.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:31 pm

You can't wash out cat urine smell. You need to neutralize it.
My daughter went through all kinds of products, but found that the Arm&Hammer pet stain and urine control worked the best. It's not expensive, and worth giving a try.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:02 pm

I would pull up the peel and stick flooring to clean and treat with a cat urine neutralizer, such as Nature's Miracle for cats. I would then apply several coats of BIN primer on both the floor and the walls to seal in the odor as much as possible. I say "several coats" because it will take more than one, probably 3 or 4, before you get enough of a layer to block the odor. With the primer done, you can then paint the walls.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Deepakb

Post by Deepakb » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:21 am

Hi all

Thanks for you advise. I removed the vinyl plank as well and cleaned it throughly. There is no smell now. I am planning to put laminate floor. After removing the vinyl plank, i see lots of gab (picture attachrd) what should i fill in there before putting the laminate floor?
Attachments
20191208_111501.jpg
20191208_111501.jpg (238.83 KiB) Viewed 64 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:22 pm

the small damage I see I would not even worry about . If they are larger then 2-3 inches then you could use a cement floor patch to fill them.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Deepakb

Post by Deepakb » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:20 pm

I was mentioning about the gap between the wall and the floor. Should i just slide in the laminate flooring there or should fill the gap with the cement?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:21 am

oh good question, I did not notice that gap.
laminate floor needs to not be installed tight against anything so you would generally leave a 1/4" gap between the edges and the walls all along the perimeter of the room and then hide that by installing baseboard. Is that brick only on one wall?

Deepakb

Post by Deepakb » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:27 am

Brick is on all four side of the room and all four sides have the similar gap

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:48 am

Hmm Well you have a bit of a dilemma here, Usually brick is kinda rough to add baseboard to and it would need to be attached with an adhesive . I'm not sure how high that gap is but it looks to be nearly 3/4" in places so leaving it will look kinda bad. Maybe after the flooring is installed you could use a backer rod in the gap and then apply caulking bead? Not sure that will be any easier then adding a small baseboard all the way around? I think I would just go with a baseboard myself?