Footing and Windows

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Patrick570

Footing and Windows

Post by Patrick570 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:19 pm

Hello all,

I'm new and I apologize, this is going to be a bit of a long post for my first one.

I am about to start refinishing my basement and I have run into to major issues....

1. The poured concrete floor was not leveled and the footing of the basement walls is exposed and / or covered in piles of concrete. I desperately need to get these walls insulated but I am unsure as to whether I how to deal with the situation. Should I just clear the concrete from the footing and anchor the bottom plate of the wall to the footing, pour concrete and level it over the footing or maybe just clear the concrete and put the bottom plate on it without anchors and use friction to hold it in place?
I have attached some pictures of the situation.
Footing Floor 3.JPG
Footing Floor 1.JPG
2. There are 7 windows that are all the same size and go up to the top of the basement wall. The house is cantilevered and has a two foot overhang at the front. The windows are wooden framed and rotten. The need to be replaced, however I don't think the vinyl window I want and need will support the house. I can already see some sag in the sill plate over one of them. How do I fix this? More pictures attached.
Window top F.JPG
Thank you for all your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Patrick570

Re: Footing and Windows

Post by Patrick570 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:21 pm

two more pictures of the window.
Window top L.JPG
Window JnOH.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:36 pm

Wow whoever poured that floor must have used a sheet of plywood to place and finish it? How was there ever flooring over this before? If that entire floor is like that IMO you will need to have someone come in and pour a self levelling concrete layer over the entire thing to get you flat before you start anything. This in itself is going to add some real humidity to the basement that will then need to be de humidified this time of year (if you are in a colder climate) before you finish insulating and close in the walls.

As for the windows those are some long spans for 2 layers of 2x material on the flat to span! Is that what is there or is there another layer between the window rough buck and the sill plate?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Patrick570

Post by Patrick570 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:12 pm

I was very upset when I found the concrete was that bad. It is the reason I have not moved forward with the refinishing. Self leveling concrete and contractors for that job are well beyond my means. I live in NS along the atlantic coast and my heating bills are insane. so I need to get insulation on the walls and replace the windows.

The only thing between the windows and the sill plate is a bit of gasket that is meant to fill the gap and keep the cold air to a minimum. If I would have been paying attention I would have had that problem fixed with the house was placed on the foundation. the windows are 100cm long and 62cm to the top of the foundation. Yes that is 2x framing the window.

I could really use some help here.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:37 pm

So this was an existing basement and you somehow found a house that would fit it? I assume this because the joist of the house look like fir and that is not very common in a new build.

So in essence there is really only the one layer of 2x material spanning that entire length because the space between it and the second one allows flexing. Normally this would be ok when there is a rim joist of the floor above spacing the opening, but you don't have it with this home because the rim joist hangs out past the basement. The problem now is that the joists are putting pressure on the unsupported area and able to sag. This needs to be fixed right away. How long has the house been sitting here on the basement?
You will need to use some jack posts and a beam to support the floor joists temporarily while you remove each window and install a header across the openings.And at this point all you can really do is support those headers with vertical supports down onto the concrete window sill. With out knowing your closest city I can't find your snow load for your area . I also need to know how far those joists above span from the beam to the wall they are sitting on. Those will determine what you need for a header. I would think that a double 2x6 may be enough?
All that said you will have smaller windows for sure.

As for the floor it is an utter mess. So how did you not see this before now was there a wood sleeper floor over it?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Patrick570

Post by Patrick570 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:36 am

The floor joists are 12" on centre, there are double joists (6' on centre apart) in 4 locations over the span of the house which is 63' long. The cantilever is for a 2' over hang. The house has been on the foundation for almost 10 years. It was constructed specifically for this foundation and delivered to the site. The nearest city to me is Halifax.

I seem to recall seeing angle iron used to support the load of a brick wall in a similar situation on another channel, is this a possibility here?

As for the floor the basement was finished and had a floating floor installed over the concrete. All of these issues were discovered when the basement was gutted in preparation for the installation of the modular house.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:31 am

I was looking for the span of the joists from the beam in the middle of the house (or wherever it is positioned) to the basement wall. I will assume it is no more then 4.9M (16')

So a double 2x6 header should be fine . You may be able to use some size of angle iron but an engineer would need to be consulted for that. You could consult one anyways maybe they have a different solution ? Something needs to be done when the windows are changed though for sure.

Do you have a better picture of the floor ? One from a ways back showing a larger area? Im curious if the entire thing looks like this or just this corner?

Patrick570

Post by Patrick570 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:49 am

Hello Shannon,
Sorry for the delay in the reply, but it is that time of year. Anyway here are the wide angle pictures you asked for of the floor.
The first picture doesn't really show how bad of a job I am dealing with, but as you can see the floor is not level with the footing in anyway shape or form.
Floor 1.JPG
In the second picture you can actually see foot prints in the concrete where whoever poured this mess was wandering around before it had set. As far as I can tell there was no effort made to level or smooth the floor.
Floor 2.JPG
The third picture is of the point where the well pipes penetrate the foundation wall. It is at the opposite end of the basement. And as you can see the problem with the floor extends the full length of the basement.
Well pipes.JPG

Patrick570

Post by Patrick570 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:39 pm

I just caught that you wanted to know the width of the space the joists span. So... the foundation is 8" thick, and the space is 14' from wall to wall, the over hang is 2'. I hope that is enough information.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:59 am

Thanks, yes the double 2x6 header across those window opening should be enough but you can consult an engineer for exact specs.

Patrick570

Post by Patrick570 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:33 am

So I have removed the piles of concrete from the footing, and smoothed it as best I can at this point. I was thinking I would pour some cement over the footing to smooth it out a bit more before I place a base plate for the wall. I know its not the ideal solution, but at this point is all I can really do. Any pointers on how I should go about this?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:25 am

So I would recommend using a bonding agent (concrete adhesive) in the areas you want to cover to help bond the old and new together better. You could then either use self leveller or even regular mortar mix to fill these areas. With the mortar mix a would add about a spade shovel full of portland cement powder to every bag as you mix it.This will give it some extra strength.
Self leveller will allow you to start with framing the next day but with mortar I would wait a week maybe.

You really cant use actual concrete mix because the stones in the mix will likely be to big for the thickness you need in some areas.

Patrick570

Post by Patrick570 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:31 am

Thank you for all your help. I will keep you posted on the progress.