Basement insulation for the Enbridge Home Efficiency Rebate

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
albertkao9

Basement insulation for the Enbridge Home Efficiency Rebate

Post by albertkao9 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:29 pm

I like to improve my basement insulation to qualify for the Enbridge Home Efficiency Rebate program in Ontario (zone 1).
Please see the attached photo ( https://photos.app.goo.gl/3y6jKAEPgwLxn4vH8) for my current basement R12 insulation.
I am thinking of keeping current R12 insulation and insert R12, 24" on center insulation on lower half of wall, then join upper vapour barrier to new vapour barrier being installed on lower half.
Is that a good idea?

Please review or suggest the materials and tools needed:
- R12, 24" on center insulation
e.g. ???

- Tuck Tape
e.g. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/tuck ... 6000p.html

- Mastercraft Stapler Light Duty
e.g. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mast ... p.html#srp

- Vapor barrier
e.g. https://www.rona.ca/en/vapor-barrier-ma ... ft-0048125 ???

Shannon

Re: Basement insulation for the Enbridge Home Efficiency Rebate

Post by Shannon » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:38 am

Im not really familiar with the program but regardless I would say your plan will be ok. I would suggest it may be just as easy to remove the old poly and install a complete new sheet. This way if there is any damage to the old you will not miss taping up a hole. The electrical boxes need to be removed and either vapour boxed added around them or pieces of poly to form a bag around them. These then get sealed to the vapour barrier. Insulating and sealing the rim joist above the walls is required also.Insulate those as thick as you can right out to the face of the wall.

One thing I am noticing is that there is no moisture barrier between the framing and the concrete ? This is required by code most places in Canada but it can be a real pain to add when the wall is in place. Is this a bilevel home or is it a full height concrete basement ?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

albertkao9

Post by albertkao9 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:41 am

One contractor proposed:
1. Remove existing batting and vapour barrier
2. Install 3.33 inches (R20) CCMC approved 2lbs closed cell, spray foam all exterior foundation walls and rim joist.
The proposal did not mention adding moisture barrier nor "The electrical boxes need to be removed and either vapour boxed added around them or pieces of poly to form a bag around them".
Is that a good proposal?

It is a full height concrete basement. What is the significance of this?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:17 pm

That is a great proposal if its in your price range? With closed cell foam it insulates and stops air and moisture flow so you don't need the other items looked after with other individual products ,the foam does it all.

I was noticing the wood on the concrete wall behind the framed wall in the one area just below the insulation . I could not tell if this was a sill plate on top of the concrete wall or just a wood block behind the studs. These blocks would make it virtually impossible to install a sheet product behind the studs for a moisture barrier.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

albertkao9

Post by albertkao9 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:59 pm

Price is expensive so I am thinking of alternatives.
Please see zoom-in photo:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Yga_q ... 9-h1064-no

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:36 am

This link does not work.

albertkao9

Post by albertkao9 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:37 pm

Photo:

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:43 pm

I assume i am looking to see what the wood is behind the wall? Its wood. LOL
Looks like they strapped the wall to seal the poly to??