How to increase ventilation against condensation in a bedroom

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
563troy

How to increase ventilation against condensation in a bedroom

Post by 563troy » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:26 pm

Hi,
I have a mold problem in my apartment bedroom. I am noticing mold buildup about 1 to 2 ft (from floor) by my bed (on both side). My bed it located under the window and for the sake of wife and child, we keep the window closed most (if not all) the time. We are not close to any plumbing pipes. The ceiling is not showing any signs of roof leakage. I think the problem is poor air circulation / ventilation. Our bedroom is simply too filed with stuff. Can I just cut an opening of 3" x 4" (similar to laundry room vent pipes) about 10" below the ceiling and cover the inside with a vent register (with window screen meshing) to increase ventilation ?

Other solutions / suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks

A. Spruce

Re: How to increase ventilation against condensation in a bedroom

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:35 pm

Reduce the amount of stuff in the room, leave the door open when you're not sleeping or needing privacy, and pull everything out from the wall a couple inches then set up a fan to circulate air around the room when it isn't occupied.

I would not recommend cutting holes in walls unless you own the place, even then I wouldn't recommend it. While it would allow more passive ventilation of the room, I don't think it will be the cure to the problem.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

563troy

Post by 563troy » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:20 am

Thanks...If you think cutting hole will not drastically help, then I will postpone that.

Ok how about this .. what if I insert a piece of epoxy glass ( 2" x 48" ) in the window (my window height is 48") where 4" of this epoxy strip has 3/8" holes (about 8 holes or so). That way, with window closed, we still have a 2"x4" area where air can escape. I hope I was able to describe the idea.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:07 am

Like Spruce said its more about the lack of air movement in the room and not air circulation to the exterior. Items packed in a room and against walls create a restriction on air movement throughout the room, couple that with cool weather and dampness and you get mould.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:00 am

I agree with Shannon, you don't need "fresh" air, you simply need air movement and space between the wall and your stuff for that air to flow.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

563troy

Post by 563troy » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:32 pm

ok .. thanks...I will hold off cutting walls and such.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:02 am

Clean the mould up and get some air circulation in the room and you should be better.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

loftcraft

Post by loftcraft » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:08 am

Hi 563troy,
Ensure curtains are at least 15cm to 20cm away from window glass to allow free movement of warm air.
Where open fires are not provided, or existing flues are blocked off, see that wall vents are fitted and kept clear.
If possible extend the central heating program to compensate for the night-time drop in external temperature, and the increase in water vapor caused by the occupants’ breathing.
Bedroom windows should be opened during the day to allow at least one complete air change.