Framing Around Air Duct

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Ruzty

Framing Around Air Duct

Post by Ruzty » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:44 pm

Hi,
Happy New Decade!
I am insulating and framing walls in my basement now and I am not sure how to frame an exterior wall around rectangular air duct. Should I frame "tight" around ducting or frame only where 16 OC studs are.
Please see the picture:

Regards,
Rusty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shannon

Re: Framing Around Air Duct

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:29 am

I would do it more like the VarB but add a piece of framing on each side of the duct above the horizontal framing that passes under it. This will give you something to attach drywall too.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Ruzty

Post by Ruzty » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:05 am

Thanks.
And as for the soffit. Do I have to frame with 2 x2 only? I like the idea of OSB strips for vertical parts. What does Canada code say about that?
Regards, Rusty

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:14 am

The duct soffit is not really structural but does need to hold up the drywall weight so plywood verticals would likely be fine. Remember though you need enough room between the wood and the ducts to keep any fasteners from piercing the ducting. Attaching directly to ducting generally leads to excess vibration and such which can cause noise. Also fasteners poking into ducting causes quicker dust collection and requires more regular duct cleaning.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Ruzty

Post by Ruzty » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:52 am

Shannon Thank you!