Prime Ceiling Again or Ready for Final Two Coats of Paint

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Themus

Prime Ceiling Again or Ready for Final Two Coats of Paint

Post by Themus » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:10 pm

I took down the popcorn texture in my ceiling, sanded it well, filled it spots with joint compound, sanded them, wiped it down, and then primed it with Kitz 3 Premium High Hide primer.

And then sanded that lightly.

With the primer on, I saw places I needed to patch and did so again joint compound, sanded it well, wiped it down and then primed it again with Kitz 3 Premium High Hide primer.

This second coat laid down very well, not thin. But I can see "through" the primer where the places I patched with joint compound show up. Some 'flashing' as well when the light comes in from the windows.

Now I know this is just primer, but do I need to prime again for the third time or will two coats of good flat ceiling paint do the job so these don't show through?

Shannon

Re: Prime Ceiling Again or Ready for Final Two Coats of Paint

Post by Shannon » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:18 pm

You should be fine as far as not needing another coat of primer, these spots will cover fine with the paint coats.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:04 pm

When I do patches in drywall, I will prime the patch, then the entire surface before top coat. In your case, where you've already primed the whole thing, I'd simply hit the patches that are shadowing again, then apply your top coat.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Themus

Post by Themus » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:03 am

Thank you for your quick replies.

Shannon I have followed your YouTube video's and I have always found them very helpful! Spruce that is what I had done in my bedroom "When I do patches in drywall, I will prime the patch, then the entire surface before top coat," and it came out very well.

I guess I didn't do that in the kitchen because there were so many patches in the room. Figured it would be easier to do the whole room instead. --Also, which brings up your recommendation now and always a question in the back of my mind.

When a person"spot" primes, does that make a potential for flashing in the future? I guess I am thinking of the fact it adds another layer [build-up] compared to other areas. It is a question I have wondered about every time I have heard about spot priming drywall compound on any drywall surface. By doing so you are obviously going to end up priming another lay near and adjacent to the patch you are trying to cover up.

All painters apparently do it so I reckon not, but did wonder about it.

I hope the question observation makes sense otherwise I'll try to rephrase it.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:11 am

generally spot priming won't show up.The patch absorbs it on the first go to seal it up any passes after that even things out.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:25 am

Themus wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:03 am
When a person"spot" primes, does that make a potential for flashing in the future?
Flashing or shadows are a result of uneven paint or primer. When you do a repair to a painted wall, you will have a flash or shadow because the patched area will be more porous than the painted area. New primer on a fresh repair over old paint will seal the repair, but not the old paint, making the paint more porous, causing a flash. This is why you prime your patch first, then paint the entire surface, to have an even substrate for your topcoat.

This is why you prime your patches first, then prime the entire surface, it seals the patch first, then seals the entire surface. Because you've already sealed the surface, spot priming is all you need to do, but, I would still follow the same procedure you used originally and lightly sand the spot primer because this is what you've done with the rest of the surface. Sanding changes the sheen and the porosity of the primer which will affect the results with your top coat.

Themus

Post by Themus » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:45 pm

Tonight I spot primed a few of the areas where the drywall patching was showing up after the first primer coat. I didn't soak the paint roller, but sort of used the paint on the roller I had wrapped up from the first coat.

Here is a picture of it after it dried. Do you think two coats of ceiling paint will properly hide it or do I need to prime the whole ceiling for a third time?

Ceiling.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:36 pm

I would hit those dull spots with primer again, as those will be the areas that bleed through your top coat. I don't think you need to reprime the entire ceiling.

Themus

Post by Themus » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:19 pm

Easy enough. That will be three coats of primer on those patches of drywall. Granted the second was light.

Always of the analytical mind, what is it of drywall mud that makes it more of a pain to cover than the actual drywall?

Or maybe the question is why the primer isn't enough with one coat? Do most professionals have to put so many coats of primer on?

Or why does it bleed through?

The patches were sanded very smooth, and the dust removed.

I guess I am trying to wrap my head around this so I can either avoid it from happening again. Or is this a common problem?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:42 pm

I think the problem is that you primed too soon. When doing your drywall work, you want to get it perfect before you start the painting process. That means topping your patches and joints until you feel you've got them where they should be, sanding them down, and going back to touch up spots that need it.

During the sanding process, I like to hold a pencil in my other hand while sanding, that way I can sand by eye, check the surface by touch, and if it passes muster, keep going. If I see or feel a bad spot, I mark it with the pencil. When I finish sanding, I go back and hit all the marked areas to perfect them. The skim coat is so small and thin 99% of the time that I can sand the touch up areas as soon as I've covered the entire area in question. When the entire surface passes the visual and feel test, then I dust off the surface with my hand or a fox tail broom and start the primer coat.

What is the "feel test"? As I sand with one hand, I rub the other over the area being sanded. When you can no longer see or feel any defects, you know you're good to go.

When applying primer and paint, you ALWAYS want to apply the product as evenly as possible to prevent shadows from appearing. If you have shadows in your primer coats they will bleed through your top coat. If you have shadows in your first top coat, it will bleed through your second top coat. This is why it's imperative to apply the products as evenly as possible with every coat.

Themus

Post by Themus » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:49 am

Good explanation!

Part of my problem is for better or worse, I do not have to do this on a daily basis so I forget the tricks I learned at the end of a job.

I have seen to some videos suggesting the first primer coat is a good place to go back and see those missed spots. A few videos even showed a few guys holding up lights to the ceiling after priming and spot patching. In my case, my wife held up the light as I roamed the room and patches the glass.

I guess the shadows you refer to are the places the sheen is lighter or where the patches show through. So if I can get an even sheen at the primer stage, my finish coats coats should be good. Shadows mean more primer in other words?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:33 pm

Flashes are shiny spots under your top coat.
Shadows are dark spot under your top coat.

Think of it in terms of porosity, shiny spots are sealed, won't take up primer or paint because they're not porous. The material stays on the surface resulting in more shine. Shadows, on the other hand, are not sealed, therefore they will soak up more paint, reducing the sheen or shine in those areas.