Removing load bearing wall with steel beam and schedule 40 posts

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
shaanii

Removing load bearing wall with steel beam and schedule 40 posts

Post by shaanii » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:47 pm

Hi All,

I am removing a load bearing wall in the kitchen (on the first floor) which is about 14ft long. I am working with an structural engineer who recommends using a w8x24 beam and 3.5" dia schedule 40 post on both ends. He has asked to install another post in the basement and replace an existing 11 gauge post in the basement with another schedule 40 post. My questions are:

- How do I secure the posts on the first floor to the beam?
- How do I secure the posts on the first floor to the floor joists?
- How do I secure the post in the basement to the ceiling joists?
- How do I secure the post in the basement to the concrete footing that I will pour?

Thank you very much for you guidance!
Zeeshan

A. Spruce

Re: Removing load bearing wall with steel beam and schedule 40 posts

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:37 pm

I would guess that they would either be bolted or welded together. The footing would have anchor bolts embedded in it for the post flanges.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:36 pm

Yes so the post will be bolted to the beam flange, The posts against wood can be legged to the wood and the post base sitting on the new footing will also be incased in concrete once the floor is patched.These are all things that the engineer should have addressed in the drawings?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

christoff

Post by christoff » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:11 am

Shannon wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:36 pm
Yes so the post will be bolted to the beam flange, The posts against wood can be legged to the wood and the post base sitting on the new footing will also be incased in concrete once the floor is patched.These are all things that the engineer should have addressed in the drawings?
Always in the drawings, for sure!