Floor under attic joists but about sheetrock ceiling broke

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Jaybo1985

Floor under attic joists but about sheetrock ceiling broke

Post by Jaybo1985 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:34 pm

Hi,

I was doing an attic inspection today and noticed that a part of the freshly blown in insulation was sagging. After further research I saw that the board that were somehow installed under the joists are broken. The sheetrock ceiling so far thankfully has not been damaged.

The last picture is from the garage. I suspect the same kind of boards to be installed over the sheetrock ceiling and under the joists.

I am thinking that the boards got installed when the house was built (1974) and before the sheetrock ceilings in the rooms were installed.

I am afraid that over time the sheetrock ceiling will give in or that more and more insulation gets sucked/blown into the space between the boards and the sheetrock.

I need suggestions on how to close the space since I cannot access the area from the bottom (I don't want to take out the sheetrock ceiling).
Thank you!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A. Spruce

Re: Floor under attic joists but about sheetrock ceiling broke

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:50 pm

If you have boards under the insulation that are separating the insulation from the drywall, then your easiest means of access is going to be through the ceiling so that you don't have to disturb the insulation to do the repairs. I would assume with the joists exposed from below you can raise them back into place and add sisters to reinforce them. All with minimal insulation shower.

Working within the attic and dealing with the cramped space and all that insulation will be utterly miserable! Plus, how you getting your repair materials up there and into place? Accessing from below makes better sense.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Re: Floor under attic joists but about sheetrock ceiling broke

Post by Shannon » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:32 pm

Not sure i really understand what these "boards" are? was it sheeted with plywood or were there 1x4 straps installed?
On further inspection I think they are 1x4s? It looks like the rafters are 16" OC and the screw rows look more like 24" O.C.
If this is the case you should be able to screw right through the drywall and through the 1x4s into the bottom of the rafters again to secure the straps, without removing the drywall.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon