Steel stud framing corner

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
mbrini

Steel stud framing corner

Post by mbrini » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:40 am

Hi, i'm starting framing my basement with steel studs. planning to use rockwool also
1) In picture one, i was wondering if it's a good idea to fill the corner with rigid foam instead of rookwool batts.

2) Picture 2 , I left a gap to slide the drywall , screw it to stud 1, then screw stud 2 to the drywall and stud 1. thats ok? or no need to leave the gap and screw stud 1 and 2 to the tracks (90°)

3) is the 1/2 ramset aluminum nails are fine for fixing the track to the concrete?
1.jpg
2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A. Spruce

Re: Steel stud framing corner

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:24 am

Rockwool should be fine in the corner.

Leaving the gap will give your screws better access to the studs, simply because the drywall isn't taking up half the stud where it laps in the corner. There is no need to "run long" through the gap, but you do want a tight corner with the drywall joint.

Not sure what length of nail would be the best. Since steel studs are so thin, 1/2" nails are probably enough, so long as the concrete isn't blowing out around the nail. It's one of those things you kind of have to adjust your nail length depending on the results you're seeing.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:21 pm

I agree totally with Spruce here on all points.
The foam would work but I would seal it with canned foam to stop drafts between foam and studs.No real advantage to the foam in this case IMO other that using up scraps maybe?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:22 pm

I guess you will have an air vapour barrier anyways so sealing the foam is no big deal for what you are doing.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

mbrini

Post by mbrini » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:39 pm

yeah i have a lot of rigid foam scraps. i will use rockwool batts (for sur i will have a scrap from them).
Yes i will use a vapour barrier.
thanks for you both Spruce and Shannon