DIY mini split units

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Flywelder

DIY mini split units

Post by Flywelder » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:38 am

I need to install a mini split, 3 head unit. I'm considering one head to be 9000 or 12000 btu, the second and 3rd to be 18000 or more btu.
I don't have $6000.00-12000.00 dollars to hire this job out. I will do the installation myself.
I'm seeking from all of you, suggestions of makes and models of DIY mini split units.
I'm hoping there are other makes and models besides the Mr. Cool brand, to consider.
Keep in mind, I do not own a vacuum pump to do a 'pump down' of the lines.

Shannon

Re: DIY mini split units

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:15 pm

I have no experience with mini splits but hopefully someone will.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Flywelder

Post by Flywelder » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:55 pm

Okay. Seeing now how there have been other replies, could I have posted this in the wrong category? And could it be moved to the correct category for me, please?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:05 pm

Category is fine, we just don't have experience with them.

If they're anything like what I installed years ago, it's basically a through the wall AC unit. Electrician ran the power to the location, I cut the hole, installed the unit, and plugged it in. Instructions came with the unit for installation, if you have a brand/model chosen, you can download the manuals before you buy to see read up on the installation procedure.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Flywelder

Post by Flywelder » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:17 pm

Hi! Thanks Spruce!!!
Sooooo, you installed one! Great!! I didn't read any words to state if your unit was pre-charged or not, and if you needed to suction down the coolant lines or have to hire out to a AC person, to do the suctioning and charging of the system?
And may I ask what brand you installed? you can PM me if you prefer. 'Thanks Spruce!!'

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:56 pm

As I said, it was basically an oversized wall mounted unit, fully self contained and ready to go. Do not remember the brand, way too many years ago to remember. My AC guy spec'd it, owner bought it, I cut a hole in the wall and installed it. That's about all there was to it.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.