Finishing my basement

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Sagit

Finishing my basement

Post by Sagit » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:59 am

Hello, just joined..it's 2020. Anyway I'm new to DIY, my question is. I have an unfinished basement with 'half insulation' from the ceiling. (Yellow foam with vapour barrier, but does not go all the way down to the floor). So, do I have to remove this and put in the 1-1/2" rigid foam insulation? If yes, my next question is..Do I have to push my 2x4 wood frame directly to the rigid insulation or do I need to provide a space in between my 2x4 frame and the rigid insulation? how much space? Thank you Shannon!

Shannon

Re: Finishing my basement

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:50 pm

Egan you say “yellow foam and vapour barrier” I assume you actually mean yellow batt insulation and vapour barrier in a bag kinda thing?

If that’s the case rip that builders stuff off and start over.

I recommend 1” rigid foam directly on the concrete from floor to underside of joist . Then frame a wall in front of the foam. Usually basement concrete is not completely straight or plumb so I lake to start about 1/2” or so out from the foam. Whatever it takes to build a straight plumb wall. All electrical gars done and the insulated and vapour barrier. Make sure to do the run joist areas as well.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon