Framing Tolerances for Drywall

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
JordanW

Framing Tolerances for Drywall

Post by JordanW » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:55 pm

I'm currently adding and leveling 1 x 3 furring strips to my ceiling to help reduce the overall unevenness of the old ceiling joists. I finished one room today and decided to run a string from edge to edge to see how well my work had corrected some of the old ceiling joists. For the most part, I have a MUCH flatter plane to drywall to now, however, I do have some areas that will probably need about an 1/8 in. shim behind the drywall.

My question is, at what measurement do I need to start shimming these areas? Is a 1/16 gap between the furring strip and the drywall going to cause a visible issue if I don't shim it and just screw the drywall to the furring? How about a 1/8 gap?

Also, I plan to use 5/8 in. drywall for the ceilings, as I've heard that 5/8 drywall tends to sit much straighter and not contour to imperfections as much as 1/2.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

A. Spruce

Re: Framing Tolerances for Drywall

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:31 pm

Anything less than about 1/4" will be virtually imperceptible. 5/8" drywall being less flexible will span dips and valleys in the framing or furring, making unevenness less perceptible as well.

If you sight down any wall or ceiling in your house, you will see that they bow in and out all over the place, but you can't see it unless you're looking for it and at the right angle. Smooth surfaces will show more flaws than textured surfaces.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

JordanW

Post by JordanW » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:12 am

Thanks for the info Spruce!

JordanW

Post by JordanW » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:04 pm

If anyone else has advice/info, feel free to share!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:35 pm

I never commented because Spruce has you covered. His points are my feeling as well. If you have those straps within a 1/8" like you say ,you have no worries at all.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

JordanW

Post by JordanW » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:10 pm

Awesome! Great to hear. Thanks for the info Shannon. Also, thanks for all the great videos!