Insulation needs

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Flywelder

Insulation needs

Post by Flywelder » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:59 pm

1) What insulation should I use between my first floor and second, when there are 2x4 trusses between floors? See the attached picture.

2) What insulation types should I use and where. See the attached pictures.

3) Where to use insulation batts that are craft paper faced?

Note: I'm thinking or wishing, to use some form of foam sheets up nest to the OSB sheathing, maybe like 1/4 or 1/2 inch thick, and then fiberglass bats and then 1/2 inch dry wall.
4) What are your thoughts?

I'm dreaming of also placing some type of paper thin reflective material in the ceilings of the rooms, Ive read that this reflects infrared heat back into the room.
5) What are your thoughts?

6) If you can, looking at the pictures, please zoom in so, you can see the area above the door, between the first and second floor, and against the outside sheathing. Do I need to insulate that area, with something, like would be done if this was the area above the sill of a home, in the crawlspace or basement?
I can post more pictures if needed. Just ask what you want to see. Any links to items and examples, to help get information across to me are welcomed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shannon

Re: Insulation needs

Post by Shannon » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:20 am

Any exterior wall surface does need insulation ,like above the door in the floor joist area and vapour barrier depending where you live. Your options most expensive to cheapest are, closed cell sprayfoam ,Roxul insulation, batt insulation.

In the ceiling space I would assume you are wanting to use insulation for sound deadening and I would suggest Roxul safe&sound in there. That will be tricky though because you need to keep it in place so I would say I would lay it on the drywall ceiling as you install it.

You mentioned craft paper faced insulation, that is something I can not comment on because it is something we cant use in my area and i have no experience with it other than removing it from older builds.

IMO thin rigid foam is not worth the effort required to mess with it for what you are gaining. Reflective barriers may have some merit but i'm not super familiar with them either. My thinking is they may be best in the ceiling facing downwards but i'm not totally sure ?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Flywelder

Post by Flywelder » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:46 pm

Good info! so, your area can't use craft faced insulation! interesting! what do you use then? I bet it would work here and pass also! If you can post a link to the products, I would greatly appreciate it, for it helps when I'm shopping for the materials.

Oh and yes noise dampening would be great. And I have never used or seen Roxul. Roxul is not stapled to the floor joists? or hung with spring wires? As I was picturing. Please give me examples or videos of how you picture i should lay it on the dry wall and hold it in place yet, and put the dry wall up? Keep in mind, I only have a crew of 3 at any time to help, ( that would be: me, myself, and I)
Is Roxul available everywhere you think?
Sprayed closed cell Ive seen used on This old House episodes. I so, wish they would come to my project and offer me their product, probably at a discount, just so they could use the installing as a promotion ( expense) I suspect that type of offer comes to the lucky home owners on TOH . Is there a DIY version of closed cell insulating that is feasable, and practicle, and worthy of considering? Or is it a task best left to those who do it for a living?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:30 pm

We require an excellent air /vapour barrier on the warm side of any exterior wall and ceilings because of our climate conditions and craft paper is not good enough. So here we would use either 2" off closed cell sprayfoam or a combination of either batt or Roxul insulation covered with an approved poly sheeting air/vapour barrier that is sealed at every edge ,joint and protrusion. Depending where you live this may not be required or it may cause issues in your home if you live in a more warm climate? You need to check your local codes to see what is required.

For the sound deadening insulation in the ceiling you would simply screw up a row of drywall and then reach in and fill between the joist with pieces of the product you want , this will not make it completely quiet but will help muffle sound.It also is not as easy as it sound because the reach is a long ways to get the far row in every time. You may be able to use a different product to help hold the insulation inplace before you drywall line rows of twine or mesh attached to the bottom of the joists? Kinda depends on your situation and what you can make work?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Flywelder

Post by Flywelder » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:27 pm

Oh oh!! I understand much better now, thank you Shannon! yeah I like the idea of twine or mesh attached to the joists, and used like a sling, to hold the roxul up in place. Clever!!

And yeah my climate is more mild than you have in Canada, right now. For instance tonight in NC, we have rain, thunderstorms, and very high winds, and threats of tornadoes. The temp is 63 and during the day it was 67-68 deg F. but at the end of Jan and into Feb it usually gets very cold, and can drop at night, into the 20s deg. F. that is. Yucky weather.

So, with that in mind is there any where I can get insulation info for my area? Like from on line?

I did reach out to both Owens corning and MB, or MJ is it, an insulation maker? For answers, but have heard nothing back to my calls and emails! very frustrating!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:59 am

I would contact your local office that handles building permits.