Framing around Chimney boot

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
mbrini

Framing around Chimney boot

Post by mbrini » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:25 am

Hi, is my framing too close to the chimney boot? was wondering if i leave couple of inches space betwen bottom/top tracks and the chimney boot to insulate around it
IMG_0247.jpg
IMG_0248.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shannon

Re: Framing around Chimney boot

Post by Shannon » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:32 pm

Depends on the specs for the boot? I would suspect the the framing is not because it is metal but i'm not so sure about the rigid foam?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

mbrini

Post by mbrini » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:03 pm

this chimney will not be used. (I kept it for future use if i change my mind and add a fireplace)
i used rigid foam as a first layer and will fill it with rockwool. Since the chimney is stainless steel and passing through foundation wall, maybe a thermal bridge is needed ?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:31 pm

I agree. That boot should be a zero heat transfer kind of thing, but defer to the manufacturer specs, even if you have to find a similar unit online to go by. Also, it will depend on the fireplace unit you install, some of the super high efficient ones do not put any heat out the chimney, which means this boot would be just fine, but if that is not the case, then the boot will be taking on significant heat that will dissipate into the surrounding materials. Not sure what the melting point of rigid foam is, but the average chimney flue can easily surpass it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:01 am

Ahh I missed the fact that it was a boot for chimney to pass through. I thought it was the chimney .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon