While my interior walls are open, tell me what I might consider doing,and installing

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Flywelder

While my interior walls are open, tell me what I might consider doing,and installing

Post by Flywelder » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:39 pm

I'm so closely involved in this building project of mine, I often feel 'I can't see the trees for the forest' syndrome!
So, I'm reaching out to all of you, for suggestions, of things you know I should consider and might want to consider, before I seal up the walls and ceilings with insulation and drywall. I don't want to regret later on not knowing about something, or learning later that something would have been easier if done while the walls and ceilings were open.

I would also welcome ideas of some, 'frivolousness things'

I have a two floors, but lets look mainly at the first floor for now.
On the first floor: is a one car garage, a laundry room, with a utility tub, and one bed room / guest rm, for grand kids to stay over in, and also out of town guests (plus, will also serve as my wife's sewing room,) there is one pantry room, a stair case, a back door to a patio in the back yard. The second floor will remain unfinished for now, as I don't presently have the funds to finish both floors.
Thank you every one!

A. Spruce

Re: While my interior walls are open, tell me what I might consider doing,and installing

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:00 pm

Anytime you open a wall is a good time to upgrade plumbing, electrical, data lines, etc. Speaker wires could be run for surround sound or theater system. Just kind of have to think ahead to what you might use the house/space for and try to anticipate those upgrades.

You can also run conduits or chases to run wires later if specialty items are out of budget now, but something you want in the future.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Re: While my interior walls are open, tell me what I might consider doing,and installing

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:56 am

What will the second floor rooms involve? You should pull wires, plumbing, ducting, gas lines and those types of things through the first floor walls or ceiling now so they are there for future when you have the cash for the rest of the reno. Or at least make a chase way that you could use later on for them if you cant afford them at this time.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Flywelder

Post by Flywelder » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:44 am

Wow ! these are great ideas! Speaker wires, data lines, conduits! make a chase way! ....I will have to look up what a chase way would be inside a 2x4 wall? Same for conduits, what would represent a conduit in a 2x4 wall?. I'm thinking pipe, pvc? how long? and drilled through the 2x4s? or runs up and down along die the 2x4s? wow! my head is spinning with images! and they are confusing images, but I'm listening...

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:38 pm

Technically, a conduit would be used to pull powered cables through, such as adding an outlet or switch. Chases do not, or are not supposed to, carry powered cables, they're only legal for data and low volt stuff. Conduits and chases simply connect two points so that you're not having to fight your way through insulation, plumbing lines, or any other hidden impedances or trying to get hands into small holes to fish wires from point A to B.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Flywelder

Post by Flywelder » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:58 pm

Ah! now I have ideas in mind to best place conduits! thank you!