Misplaced support posts

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
A. Spruce

Re: Misplaced support posts

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:18 am

I'd also call a friend or neighbor over and have the police on speed dial if he shows up.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:11 am

agreed! Don’t let this guy back on your property. Have a neighbour or friend there with you when he shows up and if you can maybe lug everything he owns to the curb waiting for him. Take pictures of the work site before you move his tools so everything is accounted for. If any money is owing do not pay until he either replaces items damaged or deduct those as well as deduct at least $400 for the electrician which must come now and fix is huge mistake. Get a price form an electrician ahead of tile if you can. I know none of this is comfortable but either is being bullied by your contractor!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Vivian

Post by Vivian » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:50 pm

Thanks very much, Spruce and Shannon, for all your advice and comments. Whew! I have managed to 'fired' the contractor, and did call for police to come "keep the peace" while he removed all his belongings. Some of it was would have been too heavy for me to take to the driveway (table saw, etc.)

Unfortunately I cannot deduct any money and have most likely overpaid him. The contracted fee for finishing the studio and dumping asphalt and wood waste was $3850, and I was to pay chunks every Friday. I have already paid $2900, and the $950 was supposed to be paid upon completion of all tasks and dumping. All these tasks are not done:
- approx 300 metal roofing screws yet to be installed
- siding on right wall
- front roof overhang panels
- gable vents front and back (I've ordered another Construction Metals gable vent)
- siding and trim around gable vents
- the front porch
- soffits on right side roof 4' overhang
- baseboards inside the studio
- the electrical needs to be fixed properly by certified electrician
- painting the exterior
- the support posts were redone but I think they need lag screws or hurricane ties ( ? ) Please have a look at how he did the support posts...he said they are "weight bearing" and do not need to be screwed or tied. I said what if we get an earthquake? He said "Go claim insurance." This is pretty well his approach: let problems happen then deal with them.

Before he left, he said "I'm going straight to the city office to put a lien on your house." In the presence of the police officer, I could finally say to him, "If the ridge cap hit me the night it got blown off, it could have killed me, you'd be guilty of criminal negligence. I forgave you, but you endangered my life again with the way you didn't repair the electrical properly." I couldn't say all this to his face before, without someone present.

About the lien, my friend told me that if he does file a lien, he has to file a Form 5. Then, I can file a Form 6 which requires him to file a Certificate of Pending Litigation, which means he must bring the case to court and I will have the opportunity to defend with all the evidence of his incompetence and negligence. I will deal with it with legal assistance if it happens.

Whew! I'm so relieved I've finally managed to terminate him, after he would not agree to be responsible for the cost of the new gable vent (price went up to C$69, from previous C$50, on Amazon) and the cost of having an electrician check his work to ensure safety. But, I expect that the costs of finishing all the leftover tasks will well exceed $950... Oh well, money is dispensible.
Haha at least I'm still alive andsurvived the flying 10' metal ridge cap he left unscrewed!!! Gotta laugh at the nightmares that happened with the last two contractors! : )))

Seriously, I think it would have been more 'cost-effective' to fly you both in to take on the job of my studio, even put you up at a local motel...and it would have been soo fun and delightful to work with you! : ))) Thanks guys!!!

Vivian

Post by Vivian » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:00 pm

Whoops forgot the pics of how he did the support posts...
My friend suggested putting in lag screws, versus hurricane ties (?)
Attachments
Post - right side2.JPG
Post - right side2.JPG (34.95 KiB) Viewed 90 times
Post - right side1.JPG
Post - right side1.JPG (43.55 KiB) Viewed 90 times
Post - rear center.JPG
Post - rear center.JPG (31.81 KiB) Viewed 90 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:30 pm

Contrary to every DIY tv program out there these days, you DO NOT need to have drama and upset when it comes to home projects. Life is too short for such nonsense!

Glad you were able to get rid of the idiot without much fuss. I wouldn't worry about his bluster of filing a lien, while it is a consequence of not paying, if you are justifiable and documented, the courts are going to side with you. Also, the courts typically only enforce what was in writing, it sounds like most of this project was by word and a handshake, which means he also has no legal foot to stand on. And finally, when it comes right down to it, I'll lay big money on the fact that he's all bluster and no teeth. You've already informed yourself of the process, so you have nothing to fear and he's not out any money because he didn't finish the job, so again, no legal foot to stand on.

IMHO, there is nothing about those posts that is done correctly, namely, no header, the fascia is being used as the "header", which doesn't fly where I'm from. With a header, the rafters would be toe-nailed into the header, maybe have blocking, maybe a metal tie, but not necessarily. The post to header connection would also have a metal cap tying the two together. That said, I would check that there are at least screws tying the post to the fascia. If you wanted to put some corner straps on either side of the posts/fascia connection or a lag bolt in the center (from fascia into post) that would be fine.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:45 pm

If this guy actually goes to all the effort to file a lien over 950$ then he is more of a moron then I already suspect he is. You will win with all the evidence you have just in this forum alone. End of story!!

I think we have beat these post supports to death already but yes these are still not correct.

In all honesty if I was closer to you I would have been there already today to get this project finished already!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:23 pm

I just looked to see how long this project has been going, this thread is 2 months old to the day. I know other workers have been involved before, so well over 2 months now. Both Shannon and I could have done this in two or three weeks tops, working alone!

There isn't one aspect of this project that is rocket science or brain surgery or that requires any special skills, other than actually knowing how to do this trade, which ain't rocket surgery or brain science.

Do you have Yelp or other social media review site of local businesses? That might be a place to look for better help, what you've had so far certainly hasn't done you any favors, in fact, if you do have a local review site, I would highly recommend you post a review of every hack and half-wit that's touched the studio.

Vivian

Post by Vivian » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:26 pm

Thanks Shannon & Spruce, for all your support and advice!
Yep, the support posts have been beat to death but are still not right. Unfortunately I was out to pick up materials when he re-did the posts, gone out of town 1/2 hr away. I did ask the terminated contractor to install a 2x6 support beam and attach the posts to the beam, but he didn't agree. I pretty well gave up on trying to get him to do things according to code or my suggestions (mostly from you both). I guess all I can do at this point is to ask the next contractor to put in appropriate lag screws, and hope for the best.

There was a written contract between the terminated contractor and me, a poorly written one. Anyway I won't worry about his threat of a lien. If it ever becomes a court case, all his negligence and incompetence will come to light, and it will be interesting how the judge sees it all...

I have one more 'construction question' and hopefully this will be the very last question! It's about the 4ft overhang on the right side of my roof - what is the best way to install soffits under 4 ft of roof overhang? Please see pics... His plan was to install a 2x6x12 approx 15 inches from the wall, under the rafters, and then attach the j-mould to it, and hang the soffits, then seal the gaps between the rafters with cut pieces of 2x4's. Would this have been an acceptable way?

BTW the pink strips you see at the upper edge of the wall are the tail ends of "retrofit" rafter vents I had to install myself. Contractor had installed the rockwool into the ceiling without rafter vents,and I didn't know about rafter vents until my friend pointed out that the rockwool was butted up to the roof sheathing with no air gap at the outer edges, so soffits would be useless in creating airflow into the attic. Since the interior wall pine panels were already installed, my friend recommended retrofitting these rafter vents:
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.raft ... 03435.html
which I was able to push through between the rafters and staple at the edges, after shaving off approx 2" off the top of the rockwool. I know I'm asking 'after the fact,' but is this an effective way of remedying the lack of rafter vents airspace between insulation and roof sheathing?
Attachments
4ft right roof overhang2.JPG
4ft right roof overhang2.JPG (33.54 KiB) Viewed 87 times
4ft right roof overhang.JPG
4ft right roof overhang.JPG (37.46 KiB) Viewed 87 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:55 pm

I'm not following the question on the soffits, to me the entire underside of that roof is a "soffit". You said "hang", which implies you're going to install some sort of box along the wall, not sure to what end such a thing would serve.

As for the air gap for the insulation, so long as there is a gap, there isn't really a wrong way of doing it. Now, because the studio is so small and protected by trees, I don't know that it matters whether a gap is there or not, so, personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Vivian

Post by Vivian » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:44 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:23 pm
I just looked to see how long this project has been going, this thread is 2 months old to the day. I know other workers have been involved before, so well over 2 months now. Both Shannon and I could have done this in two or three weeks tops, working alone!

There isn't one aspect of this project that is rocket science or brain surgery or that requires any special skills, other than actually knowing how to do this trade, which ain't rocket surgery or brain science.

Do you have Yelp or other social media review site of local businesses? That might be a place to look for better help, what you've had so far certainly hasn't done you any favors, in fact, if you do have a local review site, I would highly recommend you post a review of every hack and half-wit that's touched the studio.
Somehow I missed seeing this message from you, Spruce, thanks.
Yep, it's been a long haul with this project, which the first contractor started on August 27.
Back then I did phone a few renovation companies from local Yelp, but they were either too busy for my small project or a little expensive, or so I thought... I was quoted $10,000 by one company, inc labor & materials, but back then my budget was $8,000. As of last week I've spent over $12,000 on labor & materials.
As for posting reviews of the two half-wit contractors, I will look into doing it after my studio is finished. Right now I have my hands full...will be 'interviewing' two contractors tomorrow, one I met at a local hardware store, and a carpenter referred by a friend.

Vivian

Post by Vivian » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:58 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:55 pm
I'm not following the question on the soffits, to me the entire underside of that roof is a "soffit". You said "hang", which implies you're going to install some sort of box along the wall, not sure to what end such a thing would serve.

As for the air gap for the insulation, so long as there is a gap, there isn't really a wrong way of doing it. Now, because the studio is so small and protected by trees, I don't know that it matters whether a gap is there or not, so, personally, I wouldn't worry about it.
I guess that in California where you are, soffits are not always necessary and it also depends on the style of the house. Most houses on my street have soffits, and from what I gather, they also keep bugs and mice from getting into the attic while facilitating airflow. The installed soffits do look like a box along the wall. Currently my left roof overhang have soffits installed, please see pic...
Even with the soffit insulation, I had to ask contractor to install them properly. He was going to hang the 10' panel lengthwise, which would likely sag in the middle over time, as the groves would not sit on the j-mould. I had to insist that he cut the soffit panels into approx 15" pieces, so that the groves hang perpendicular to the j-mould.

My right roof 4' overhang doesn't have soffits yet, so mice could get up the siding trim with their handy dandy padded-suction feet and get inside the insulation and make nests, especially when it's below zero. Unfortunately this could happen to my studio while the left side roof overhang doesn't have soffits installed and all the gaps to attic insulation are not yet sealed off.

Maybe Shannon, being in Sask where winter temperature dip below zero celsius, more routinely deal with installing soffits (?)
Attachments
Soffit - left side.JPG
Soffit - left side.JPG (24.77 KiB) Viewed 80 times

Vivian

Post by Vivian » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:03 pm

This is the soffit panel installed under my left roof overhang, the cut pieces are approx 16"x15" and overlap one groove...
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.rain ... 04023.html

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:22 am

Vivian wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:50 pm
Seriously, I think it would have been more 'cost-effective' to fly you both in to take on the job of my studio, even put you up at a local motel...and it would have been soo fun and delightful to work with you! : ))) Thanks guys!!!
Just so you know, half of our time would have been spent doing this! :mrgreen: ;)
-
prank2.jpg
prank2.jpg (46.6 KiB) Viewed 76 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:07 am

For the 4' roof area I would not install the soffit horizontally level because it will leave you with a very low height under that whole eave area. I would strap the under side of the rafters with 1x4 ,one at the wall, one at the fascia and one in the middle. Then a J at the outer edges and panels cut to fit between them. This allows you to use a row of screws at about half the span securing the centre of the panel into the center 1x4. If using 2x4 instead of 1x4 would make the panels cover all of the back side of the fascia then I would use 2x4 just so I would not have to wrap the backside of the fascia with metal as well.
With the fascia that is being supported by the posts on that side I would install a couple 3/8" leg bolts each post and be done with it at this point. Its not 100% correct but for what it is supporting the single fascia would be fine IMO.
Honestly 10K is not really to bad either IMO and as you have come to find it would have been cheaper ,less hassle and you would have been enjoying this structure long ago by now if that contractor for 10K was competent. This unfortunately may be a case of you get what you paid for ,I don't want to blame you for this entire ordeal but this can be a great example of the hassles of taking the lowest bid? Lesson learned... and I hope you can get someone to fix this mess once and for all without breaking the bank too much more.

Vivian

Post by Vivian » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:45 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:22 am
Vivian wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:50 pm
Just so you know, half of our time would have been spent doing this! :mrgreen: ;)
-
prank2.jpg
Haha this is the kinda fun I would have loved!!! : )

Vivian

Post by Vivian » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:05 pm

Shannon wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:07 am
For the 4' roof area I would not install the soffit horizontally level because it will leave you with a very low height under that whole eave area. I would strap the under side of the rafters with 1x4 ,one at the wall, one at the fascia and one in the middle. Then a J at the outer edges and panels cut to fit between them. This allows you to use a row of screws at about half the span securing the centre of the panel into the center 1x4. If using 2x4 instead of 1x4 would make the panels cover all of the back side of the fascia then I would use 2x4 just so I would not have to wrap the backside of the fascia with metal as well.
Thanks very much for your suggestion, Shannon.
I'm sorry but I'm not sure I fully understand this, and can't quite visualize it all...does this mean covering all of the underside of the roof overhang with soffit material after installing the 3 pieces of 1x4 or 2x4 strapping? If yes, this would mean having to buy more soffit panels...
Anyway I have hired a new carpenter and will print your suggestion and show it to him.
And, I can't quite visualize how it will leave me with a very low height under that WHOLE eave area - wouldn't the low height area just be along the inner edge of the roof to about 15" outward, and the soffits would hang under the highest section of the roof overhang which slopes down? I can't see how it would be a very low height under that whole eaves area...
But I will sort it out with new carpenter, thanks very much for taking time to type out what you would do.

BTW I had a super busy day yesterday. Besides hiring new carpenter to finish the carpentry tasks, I also got a quote from the owner of a reputable electrical company, and he confirmed that the second fix of the damaged electrical lines by last contractor is still a safety hazard, so I have confirmed a work order and it will be fix it correctly next week by a certified electrician.

The carpenter I hired yesterday is a friend of a friend of mine, is primarily a cabinet maker and custom guitar maker, very detail oriented...and he has construction experience. I am sure he will do his best to finish the studio, and he will do his best to remedy all the sloppy work left by last contractor. Trust and integrity is most important to me, and this time I am sure everything will be done well by the carpenter.
I may still have a roofing company finish the roof - one step at a time...

Thanks again for all your help & advice, Shannon & Spruce - I would truly love to meet you both one day!!! : )))

Vivian

Post by Vivian » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:09 pm

And yes I will ask new carpenter to install 3/8" leg bolts into each support post : )

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:14 pm

Vivian wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:09 pm
And yes I will ask new carpenter to install 3/8" leg bolts into each support post : )
So we'll finally be able to put that issue to bed? :| ;) ;) :mrgreen:

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:00 pm

My comment earlier was explaining how I would install soffit to the entire underside of the 4’ roof area. If this new guy does not know what I’m referring to I can try and explain better. For now let’s let the two of you get going on this project and get things finished up

Vivian

Post by Vivian » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:45 pm

Ah ok, Shannon, I fully understand what you meant - soffits would indeed be covering the entire underside! That would make the entire right roof overhang look nicely finished with little infringement of headroom.

Anyway today my new carpenter suggested doing it this way (please see pic), which I'm very happy with! It looks very well done - he cut precise notches to fit a 2x6 into the rafters, removed it to scribe the top, then reinstalled it so everything is snug, no mice will get through, and I didn't have to spend more $ buying more soffits and strapping : )))

Finally, I have managed to hire someone competent, truly professional, and ever so thoughtful and courteous! Such a delight to work with!

Still suffering flashbacks of the nightmares I endured with the last bully-klutz contractor (kinder words than "moron") but I'm so relieved his incompetence, negligence, and mean spirit cannot cause further damage or endangerment of my life and studio. Whew!
Attachments
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (36.55 KiB) Viewed 47 times
photo 5.JPG
photo 5.JPG (34.3 KiB) Viewed 47 times

Vivian

Post by Vivian » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:20 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:14 pm
Vivian wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:09 pm
So we'll finally be able to put that issue to bed? :| ;) ;) :mrgreen:
Yes!!! Posts will be secured properly by my wonderful carpenter : )))))

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:34 am

Ya that works well. The rest of the roof will remain open from the bottom I guess?

Vivian

Post by Vivian » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:07 am

Hi Shannon,

Sorry for this late rely, been super busy working with new carpenter and family visits.

Two electricians came yesterday and fixed the electrical properly - closed off the damaged line and fished in a new line and connected everything to code, so no more fire hazards! : )

Yep, the rest of the 4' roof overhang will remain open from the bottom; I'm happy with the way my carpenter installed the soffits, as that sheltered area will just be storage space for bikes, wheelbarrow, etc., like it was before.

My new carpenter is so meticulous and a perfectionist! The way he finished the metal roof gives me total peace of mind - he re-installed the closures that had blown off and even caulked all of them in place, repositioned the gable trim to seal off the edges perfectly (terminated contractor had cut the last panel an inch short from the edge), trimmed and re-layered the roofing felt that was bunched up and crinkled. He is such a gem - I'll be recommending him to all my neighbors and friends! : )))

My friend has finished drafting a letter to the terminated contractor, which outlines the just causes for his termination, confirms the costs of completing all the tasks outlined on his contract exceeds $950, and includes a warning to him:
" In closing, be forewarned of the following in the BC Builders Lien Act: If a lien is filed based on false information under section 45 of the Act, a person who knowingly files a lien with a false statement could be fined up to $2000 plus the amount by which the lien exceeds the actual claim. And the person could be liable for damages for abuse of process and slander of title."
If you or Spruce or others reading this at this forum are interested in reading the entire letter (to the criminally negligent contractor), do let me know and I will post it here.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:17 am

I suggest letting the latest hire finish before getting overjoyed. You were excited about the last guy when he started too! Fingers crossed that you're done with the drama.

As for the letter, I'm not so sure I'd include the part about "knowingly file a false claim", I'd simply cover my buns with his justified termination and remaining work exceeding what is "owed", and leave the rest of the rope laying there for him to hang himself with. People like him often don't learn without severe pain inflicted upon them.