My deck layout needs help

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Jackbh

My deck layout needs help

Post by Jackbh » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:56 am

hello new to website I hope I can get help
I want to build a deck treated lumber 4 feet off of ground
Post will be 4x4 or 4x6
Beams I don't know
Joist I don't know
concreate footings with simpson strong tie post mounting base (expensive)
Measurements are 32 feet by 16 feet
I would go less or more if needed I just pick this size cause I could use 5/4 x 6 x 16feet deck boards
please see attached drawing Deck will have a Ju kusa on it otr a plastic swimming pool not very big

later I would like to screen in and cover with with real roof and shingles
I am looking for advise on beam size haw far apart ? post distance apart ? Joist size ? 16 inches on center
Thanks Jack
Attachments
4008_001 (1).pdf
(117.45 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

Shannon

Re: My deck layout needs help

Post by Shannon » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:54 pm

Well first off a hot tub is very heavy then once filled with water and then people it is easily over 5000lbs so I always recommend they are not placed on decks .You have options like sitting them on a patio beside the deck or sitting on a concrete foundation and the deck built up to or around it so it is maybe 12" above the deck top.If you have small children this is not always safe so beware.
Even small pools can get heavy but if we are talking a plastic paddling pool with less then 50 gals of water you may be ok. Water is 10lbs / gal.

So back to the basic deck ,since you want to cover this later it would be wise to have the posts all in place to support the roof if possible. Unless your home is a two story home up against this deck then a simple lean too roof is really not possible. The roof edge would end up being so low to get any slope on it after a distance of 16'. So a roof could end up getting fairly complicated and would likely have to be a much larger project then you think.

Also what area of the world are you living, this will help determine some structural items.

So before I go to far I want to see your thoughts here. A picture of the area and house would be helpful as we proceed as well.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:16 pm

Shannon is close, water is 8 pounds per gallon, not 1o, but that still adds up VERY quickly! A 2 person spa can easily weigh in at 2100 pounds (filled), an 8 person spa tips the scales at over 7800 pounds (filled). Assuming you're going for one of those blow-up pools, they will be anywhere from 5100 to 12,000 pounds depending on size and depth.

Your footings and framing have to be up to the task of whatever you're going to put upon it, so I'd do some spa and pool shopping to find the one you want, then build the deck to suit those needs. When you have the weight specs, then we can help you design and lay out the deck.

FWIW, you only have to have beefy supports under the spa/pool area, the rest can be normal framing, assuming normal residential use of the deck.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:07 am

Yes your small US gallons only weigh 8lbs. Imperial gallons weigh 10.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:33 pm

Shannon wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:07 am
Yes your small US gallons only weigh 8lbs. Imperial gallons weigh 10.
What the?!?!?! That's just wrong! :| :lol: Regardless, of 8 or 10 pounds per gallon, it still adds up very quickly, which was the point of both of our posts. 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.