New deck

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Bob7315

New deck

Post by Bob7315 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:18 am

Hi Shawn. I am planning a 10' wide deck to go along side my 57' mobile home. I do not want to attach it to the mobile home. What size frame boards should I use? Should they be doubled? Do I need center supports on the 10'? How far away from the mobile home should I put in my 4 x 4 posts? I know this is a lot of questions and thank you very much for your guidance. I love your videos as they are precise and very informative!!!

Shannon

Re: New deck

Post by Shannon » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:50 pm

So you will build a free standing deck. No problem. I will assume that this will simply be built on deck blocks and be fairly low to the ground?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

forestx5

Post by forestx5 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:26 am

Watched the deck video. The deck had a 4' extension for attachment of stairs. A vertical 6x6 post was set under the extension, and the rim joist did not rest upon it, rather the rim joist appeared to be bolted to the side of the supporting 6x6. When is it appropriate to lag a joist into the side of a support post, rather than have the joist bear down on a notched support post?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:01 am

That is a good example of when that could be done. That area is not actually ever supporting a huge amount of weight .Those areas where actually designed just for storing chairs and items out of the way on the deck.The post is basically just supporting the corner of that 4' x4' area. The post was attached with the 3 1/2" bolts you seen in the rim and 3 in one of the joists on the side as well.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon