Lean-to shed

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
A. Spruce

Re: Lean-to shed

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:14 am

IMHO, the only reason for purlins is if the metal runs parallel to the rafters, otherwise just attach to the rafters.

I have never seen felt or anything else under a metal roof of this nature, so I'd say it isn't necessary. If the metal were going over a wood deck instead of open rafter/purlin, then felt would be recommended.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:20 am

It's taking shape, walls are up.
I was wondering about the door - could I attach the hinges directly to the stud? (It's hard to find information on fitting a door to a framed wall).
20191028_115012.jpg
20191028_115012.jpg (196.48 KiB) Viewed 83 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:42 am

There is really no reason you couldn't as long as the door is going to fit the opening you have. Obviously traditionally you would have framed the rough opening larger to fit a door and frame.
Are you actually using a door slab or just building a door out of plywood or lumber?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:51 am

I bought a second-hand solid door (it even has the hinges and locks attached)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:20 am

So to use that you need the framing to be plumb and straight and the proper opening size. You will add stops so the door closes against them and you will need to add weather strip and a threshold as well.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:32 am

The door doesn't "need" to be in a frame, but I would recommend it because it will make for a much cleaner/neater installation and longevity of door operation.

You will need everything Shannon recommends except for the threshold and weatherstrip, since this is a shed, it isn't that big a deal if there is air leak around the door. IF this is a weather side or you have rodent problems, then you'll probably want them.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:24 pm

Yes I suppose the threshold and weather stripping can be an option on a shed

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:41 am

It's a shed, but I have plans to use it as an office. So I do want it to be watertight (and well insulated).
The iron roof may be a problem, but I am thinking of having a layer of insulation under it.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:55 pm

If this is going to be a kinda finished space at some point I would use a door and frame for sure.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:01 pm

Shannon wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:55 pm
If this is going to be a kinda finished space at some point I would use a door and frame for sure.
Me too, with a threshold and weatherstrip as you originally suggested. 8-)

You're going to need to be careful with the metal roof, as it will be inclined to sweat, not a problem for a shed, but absolutely an issue if you insulate and drywall (mold will develop).

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:49 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:01 pm
Me too, with a threshold and weatherstrip as you originally suggested. 8-)

You're going to need to be careful with the metal roof, as it will be inclined to sweat, not a problem for a shed, but absolutely an issue if you insulate and drywall (mold will develop).

I'm wondering why is this a problem with the metal roof (does this not affect other roof types, and why?)

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:06 pm

A metal roof is exactly like a cold glass of water sitting on a warm countertop, the temperature difference between the glass and the ambient air causes condensation, this condensation collects on the glass, and puddles on the counter. Same thing happens with a metal roof, condensation forms on the underside of the roof which can cause mildew and mold issues when that moisture is trapped by insulation.

Other types of roof do not have this issue.

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:59 pm

My concrete floor is quite uneven. What would be the recommended fix for this - a concrete screed?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:24 pm

Are you planning to install a floor covering?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:00 pm

tmccar wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:59 pm
My concrete floor is quite uneven. What would be the recommended fix for this - a concrete screed?
Heres a bit of concern I have and it happens all the time here not just with you dmccar. This is going to sound a bit like rant but please do not take offence , this is to help your and future posters who may read it as well.
We have posters come here with a question or questions on a project and we coach them along as they need it based off the info we are given. Then suddenly the purpose of the build changes, but we have given suggestions up to that point based on what we were told was the intension of the build originally. If we knew you would be using this as an office and not a shed we would have likely suggested a more careful approach with the pouring of the slab. Mixing and pouring your own floor for the first time and in multiple sections is generally fine for a shed, but doing the same for a floor in an office needs a little more care and precision . We are finding out about the office use now and if it was earlier on or in the beginning we may have directed you differently in a few aspects like floor,door and roof products.
SO my point is please try and give us as much info as possible about a project so we can help you with the best plan of action.
Ok sorry I just had to say that. :D :D :oops:

Nick M.

Post by Nick M. » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:30 pm

That's gonna be a cold office with a concrete slab and a metal roof....I would go back to the shed idea

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:55 am

Ok, sorry I didn't mention my office plans. My plans have been evolving as I went along.
So based on my uneven concrete floor, what's the best way to proceed so that I have a reasonably warm office? - I am planning on having cork tiles as a floor covering, but I'm open to suggestions.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:36 am

Well I think I would precede with a self leveling floor leveller applied to the entire room so that the flooring you choose sits down and looks flat. After that its your call. Cork flooring I have no experience with but it is likely about as warm as you can get other then a heated floor or carpet.