Temp wall for Load bearing

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
image969

Temp wall for Load bearing

Post by image969 » Sat May 17, 2014 8:33 pm

Hey Shannon. Quick 2 part question.
In my kitchen which is at end of house, I have a door to the back yard and a window right next to it. I plan on putting in a slider next month. I am aware that being an exterior wall I need to put up a temp wall before i remove door and window, and put in new header.

1. How close do i need to be to where im working? Do I need to be only a few inches away from the wall im taking down? or can I be a few feet away giving me more room to work?

2. My main question. Having a ceiling that I just finished before I planed on doing slider, and having tile floor....Is there something that can be done so i dont need to screw into the ceiling or floor? Is that what's normally done when it's NOT new construction? Can I just wedge the temp studs betwen floating top and bottom plate?

Thanks for your help.. And thanks for giving me slider confidence with the garden door video I've watched of yours several times. :)

Shannon

Re: Temp wall for Load bearing

Post by Shannon » Sat May 17, 2014 10:54 pm

If your home is a single storey home, then keep that temp wall with in 24" of the existing wall. Have everything ready and waiting to go that you think you will need to do the demo and rebuild before you remove old structure.
It will be ok not to fasten the plates to the ceiling or floor but the studs need to fit tight and be fastened to both plates. The temp wall needs to be plumb in both directions and a diagonal brace secured on each side of the wall to each stud so they form an X pattern this is to prevent the wall from being able to collapse like a row of dominos.
Placing a 1/2 sheet of 3/4" plywood on the tile under the temp wall base plate will help spread out the weight and help to prevent cracking tiles.
Good luck and work safe!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat May 17, 2014 10:55 pm

If you are uncomfortable with this at all then get a pro to do it.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

image969

Post by image969 » Wed May 21, 2014 8:35 pm

Thanks a lot. I will being giving this a go next month when slider comes in. I think I shall be fine, now that I had those couple of questions answered.. thanks again :)

image969

Post by image969 » Wed May 21, 2014 8:38 pm

Actually sorry. one more question that just dawned on me. I have just recently disconvered that I have 2x4 studs on exterior wall. For 6' wide hole, single story can you tell me what would be a good size header?

I'm aware that depending on the load sometimes an engineer needs to come in and calculate that for you.. So Im not holding you liable for anything lol

I just meant a ball park.. like better safe then sorry size..

I was thinking 2 2x8s with ripped plywood inbetween.

i can maybe do 2x10s.. any bigger id have to rip down my crown molding.. id rather not do that unless i need to.. just wondering if 2x8 is good. or am i overshooting. is 2x6 good?
k Thanks for your help.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu May 22, 2014 5:40 am

I need a little more info: what area do you live in?, what is the the roof structure, trusses or rafters? , what is the total span of the rafters or trusses? , a picture of the exterior of the wall area and roof structure would be help full as well.

image969

Post by image969 » Thu May 22, 2014 3:28 pm

Here's a picure of the ouside. The slider will be going where the door and window are.

http://imgur.com/ga5UU4L

If you meant a picture of the structure inside the wall it will be a few, because i have not yet started ripping the drywall out.

The width of house is 24'

There is a main beam in attic that runs the entire legnth of house. So I'm assuming that means about a 12' rafter on each side of the beam?

I live in the state of RI. (New England) We get a fair amount of snow in the winter, if that happens to be why you asked concerning the load the roof will sometimes have to carry..

Thanks for your help.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu May 22, 2014 11:29 pm

Double 2x8 would be pushing it so I would make an educated guess that double 2x10 would be the best . Yes the reason I asked your area was for the snow load.

image969

Post by image969 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:52 am

Cool. I'm pretty sure I can squeeze 2x10 in there without destroying my crown. But if not oh well. i shall just buy more crown.. Thanks for your help.