Gaps in Exterior OSB sheathing - concern?

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Ameds

Gaps in Exterior OSB sheathing - concern?

Post by Ameds » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:22 pm

I am having a home built which is currently being framed. I heard from a friend in the trades that the framers that my builder uses are notoriously bad. So, i don't know if i am being extra picky because he told me that, but i would appreciate some advice.

I noticed that the exterior wall OSB boards aren't lined up properly, leaving many wide gaps at almost every seam. I have attached a picture as an example. Aren't the boards supposed to be lined up snug to minimize air leakage. I know the home will be house wrapped etc. still looking for comments.

I've also added a picture of the framing for a future front window and the lumber looks cracked. Should i be concerned about this and asked for the board to be replaced?
Attachments
pic.JPG
pic.JPG (397.84 KiB) Viewed 359 times
pic 2.JPG
pic 2.JPG (316.5 KiB) Viewed 359 times

Shannon

Re: Gaps in Exterior OSB sheathing - concern?

Post by Shannon » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:26 pm

Actually the recommendation is to leave slight gaps between the exterior sheathing to prevent buckling . As for the "crack " you see that is very common in lumber, that is actually a sappy area where a branch once was likely formed in that tree.
I see nothing there really to be concerned about. Watching what your contractor does is a good idea and I recommend dropping in and having a look around time to time. Most guys do not mind a few questions now and again either if you have concerns or questions about certain aspects of the build. I would not recommend hounding them as that turns many guys off. Posting pictures here and asking questions is exactly what we are here for though!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Ameds

Post by Ameds » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:43 pm

Hi Shannon, I appreciate your advice. Thanks!

I'm still not completely clear on a few things though. If gaps are recommended, I'm confused why the majority of the boards installed snug and it's only a few spots that have gaps. Almost like they didn't install or cut properly.

As for the cracked lumber. Good to hear it's not a concern but wouldn't this create a possible air leak considering it's at a vulnerable location such as a window?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:30 am

The inconsistency of the sheathing gaps is very common.The sheeting is not meant to be air tight.
Wall cavities are not air tight to the exterior, that is partly why air /vapour barrier are used on the interior. I see no concerns in your pictures
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon