Ground Level Patio

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
blitzilla

Ground Level Patio

Post by blitzilla » Wed May 24, 2017 6:23 am

I plan on doing a 16x16 Outdoor Ground level deck that will server as ''dinning area''
I sortof wanted to go 18x18 but it seems like I would Lose alot of lumber ( scraps/cuts)

Anyhow

-Is 2x6x16 too small ? should I go 2x8x16? I dont want it to be 2 massive and I dont want to put any railguard or stairs to hop on/out
That deck will serve as footing ( stairs will fall on it) froim the PoolDeck / the patio door exit of my house

-I have a decent sized Yard, that already has a 21'Pool, a ~ 16x12 Pool Level Deck ( looks massive yuks :( ) and the original 8x8 Deck thats attached to the house.
Will 16x16 be big enough?

-also, why I see some videos of people putting Gravel underneath there Ground level patio? ( the deck wont be attached to any structure/house)

-Should I use DeckBlock or simple Flat Pave stone to level the deck
how many would I need ( what spacing)

- joist at 16'' or 24'' ( using 5/4 x 6 x 16 for flooring)

Shannon

Re: Ground Level Patio

Post by Shannon » Wed May 24, 2017 7:23 am

Sounds like a nice project.The size is really your choice ,unless there are restrictions in your city on size.

You can use 2x6 for the joists, that is no problem. You will need 3 beams then to support the joists spaced evenly apart. If you do not want the deck to be up out of the ground much and no stairs then you will need your beams to be set into the ground. So concrete beams or 6x6 PT timbers would be my suggestion, set into the ground and level. You will want just enough beam out of the ground so that your joists are not in contact with dirt. The deck joist (16" O.C.) then sit on and are attached to the beams. Your 5/4 decking boards on them after.

The other option is to build 3 ,double 2x6 beams. One for each end and one for middle and they would be each supported by 4 concrete patio blocks spaced apart .

Gravel is sometimes used as a levelling surface and for drainage under decks.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

blitzilla

Post by blitzilla » Wed May 24, 2017 7:44 am

Why am I not just Using 2x6 for joice and around without any beams? sitting on deckblocks
since its basicly just lying on the grass

blitzilla

Post by blitzilla » Wed May 24, 2017 12:14 pm

I did not calculate the cost of deckblock tho ur right 3x doubleply 2x6x16 and sit my joist on it would be much more cost effective
Oh wait I cant dig 2x6 in the ground as beam just like 6x6?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed May 24, 2017 10:12 pm

PT decking 2x6s should not be in contact with the ground to prevent rotting. 6x6 Pt timbers can be placed in contact with the ground.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon