Valley Sleeper

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Blachlock

Valley Sleeper

Post by Blachlock » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:40 pm

Hi All,

I am a big DIY guy and have built just about everything, my biggest project being a room addition a few years ago using many of the videos produced by Shannon.

I have a new and final large project and that is to build a patio roof that will have a half gable that ties into the full gable.

The full gable is a 5:12 and the half will be a 2:12. That patio is 18' long and 14' wide.

I have been searching on how to measurement/cut the valley sleeper that will run on the full gable.

I have attached a photo of the roof I will be attaching to (the room I build).

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Harry
Attachments
Finished_Room.jpg
Finished_Room.jpg (208.55 KiB) Viewed 160 times

Shannon

Re: Valley Sleeper

Post by Shannon » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:44 pm

I am not sure I follow what a "half gable that ties into a full gable" is??
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Mastercarpentry

Re: Valley Sleeper

Post by Mastercarpentry » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:05 am

Are you just extending and flattening the roof to the right of the existing ridge (aka 'Split Gable')? That's what I'd do here. I can't see putting in a valley since that will require tying in a roof on the wall from the ridge all the way across which will cover some windows.

Also keep on mind that shingles won't work by themselves on such a low pitch, and any snow loads will be considerable since they will not fall off at all, but simply stack up and stay there.

Phil