remote locking gate

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
LoriGBermuda

remote locking gate

Post by LoriGBermuda » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:12 pm

Hello, First time here and I hope I'm posting correctly and in the right place.

We are building an outdoor gate into our property and wish to have a keyless entry and the ability to open the lock from the interior of the house which is 40 feet away. As much as I would like to have a nice looking mechanism, I would like something that is somewhat bulletproof in design. Any suggestions?

Shannon

Re: remote locking gate

Post by Shannon » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:19 pm

I have never seen such a device
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:33 pm

I would look at driveway gate mechanisms and companies, they use a few different things in their gates, they may have something or have a lead to what you're looking for.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:03 am

There are exterior rated electric door strikes made for commercial use but you will not like the price. And most of these tend to need replacing every 5 years or so due to water ingression and rusting. An alternative might be one of the new standard deadbolt locks which are wifi operated from a smartphone. The fanciest ones will even unlock themselves when the phone is in close proximity then re-lock as you move away. These are battery powered and I'd highly recommend that you use only lithium primary cells and not alkalines since the latter tends to leak in time thus ruining the lock.

If you're an inveterate tinkerer like me you can create a 12VDC solenoid release from an automotive trunk lock or with the tape-head solenoid from any old 8-Track tape player as even the house models use 12VDC for that part. You'll need to devise weather protection for these but if you can figure out the rest that won't be any problem.

Phil