Roofing a shed without gutters

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
ttinman23

Roofing a shed without gutters

Post by ttinman23 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:56 pm

Hi, This is my first roofing job (Period) on a shed. I was wondering how far should I lay the shingle past the drip edge on the eave and rake? I will have no gutters on the eave. Also I am using three dimensional and was wondering can I use this as a starter strip or should I use just three tab. TY

A. Spruce

Re: Roofing a shed without gutters

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:29 pm

Run your roofing felt about 1/2" past the roof edges, run the shingles about 3/4" past the roof edges. The stagger will make sure that water does not wick back under the roofing materials.

As a starter, use either starter strip or cut the tabs off of 3-tab and put the glue strip at the bottom edge of the roof, this is also nailed low, within 3" of the roof edge, as it is what keeps the bottom edge of the roof from peeling up in high winds.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

ttinman23

Post by ttinman23 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:11 am

Thx, I am also using drip edge all the way around, so I'll go 3/4" passed that.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:12 am

Ya dimensional shingles do not work well for starters .

Spruce mentions using 3 tabs and that is what I use but I have never cut off the tabs. I (an most guys around here) Simply reverse the shingle (still face up though) and nail it with the tabs towards the top. In my video many guys have not liked that and suggest the same as Spruce, to cut off the tabs to keep the tar strip more near the bottom edge of the roof. In a really windy area that makes a lot of sense. We get 80-100KM/h winds here on the canadian prairies and I don't think I have ever seen a roof start to lift at the edge but in stronger winds/hurricanes i can see that being an issue.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:13 am

If you buy starter strip, the glue strip is at the bottom edge, hence why I cut the tabs off when using those. 3-tab tends to be a lot cheaper than starter strip, which is why we used them in this manner. It's also the way I was taught to do it, so there's that. :mrgreen:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:53 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:13 am
If you buy starter strip, the glue strip is at the bottom edge, hence why I cut the tabs off when using those. 3-tab tends to be a lot cheaper than starter strip, which is why we used them in this manner. It's also the way I was taught to do it, so there's that. :mrgreen:
I'm absolutely not saying it is wrong, in fact it is better ,especially in high wind conditions.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon