Shed walls on concrete

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
tmccar

Shed walls on concrete

Post by tmccar » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:45 am

I'm planning to build a wooden shed/office. It will be on an existing large slab of concrete that has other sheds on it.
I was wondering about the walls - should I connect them directly to the concrete?
- Should I use pressure treated timber for the bottom plate, or have an extra plate which is pressure treated?

A. Spruce

Re: Shed walls on concrete

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:44 am

pressure treated 2x for the single bottom plate. Drill the holes in the plate before you stand the wall, then drill the concrete for your anchors after the wall is standing. Make sure your concrete drill bit will fit through the hole in the wood.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:49 am

Yup I agree PT bottom plate for sure. I always just drill my anchor bolts using the same concrete bit right through the plate and into the concrete. Be sure to use ACQ approved nails to attach the studs to the PT lumber.
I would also use a sill gasket or good bead of caulking under the plate to keep water out.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:51 pm

That's great, thanks. Also, should I use 6x2 rather than 4x2? (I'm thinking of winter weather and insulation).

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:02 pm

If you want more insulation value in the walls then 2x6 would be better for sure.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon