Advice for window install

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Jughead

Advice for window install

Post by Jughead » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:26 pm

Hello gents,

I have installed windows before, but I ordered a window from a fellow that owns a window company that lives across the lane from me and I have never seen this type before. It is a retrofit window, therefore, there is no flange it simply fits in the frame of the old window. No problems there, but what type of screws would you recommend I use to fasten it and, secondly, where do I insert the screws? In the track? I am a little embarrassed to ask the neighbour since I said I had done windows before :oops:

A. Spruce

Re: Advice for window install

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:50 pm

I've had retrofit windows installed on jobs, I've never personally done it. I know that they screw into the existing frame, I would guess that there's either a special track area to do so that gets covered with trim, or they're specially located so as to be hidden naturally.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Jughead

Post by Jughead » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:01 pm

I was thinking that same thing, but after sitting in the garage with a beer and staring at the window when I've had the time over the last two weeks, I have still yet to find the "special track." I think I might just have to swallow my pride on this one and ask him.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:46 pm

Have you checked YT for vids on how to install a retrofit window? Shannon may even have one.
https://www.youtube.com/user/HouseImpro ... _as=public
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:17 am

I don't have a video for those specific windows. Here I call them a "Box unit". They sit in the oped frame against the stops. I have only installed casement units ,because they open I use screws through the jambs in the window opening area. The screws are protected from the weather there and are hidden unless the window is open. For ones that do not open your only option would be exposed screws through the jambs I guess?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Jughead

Post by Jughead » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:27 pm

Shannon wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:17 am
For ones that do not open your only option would be exposed screws through the jambs I guess?
I suspect this to be true. I plan on coaxing the fellow across the lane over with beer and asking him this weekend. Oh the shame...

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:20 pm

let use know hat you find out.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Jughead

Post by Jughead » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:16 pm

I was unable to speak to my neighbour since I was called away for work to Saskatchewan. I will get the answer and let everyone know plus post photos when I return in a month or so.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:08 pm

Ah your coming to my Province!

Jughead

Post by Jughead » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:31 pm

Shannon wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:08 pm
Ah your coming to my Province!
Already here! Drove out to Melville this morning.

What is this 15 cent provincial fuel tax that is going on here ?!?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:04 am

There is a .15cent per litre tax here ,has been forever. Prices have been shooting up recently lately I believe because of the Canadian federal carbon tax, or its summer and they want to ruin peoples travel plans or the gas companies just know we will buy it anyways? Not sure really ? Our premier is refusing to go along with the Federal carbon taxes but I think it has been mandated on our fuel?? Don't really know? I drive for work and need fuel so I buy it when the gauge says I need it.
What province are you here from?

Jughead

Post by Jughead » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:52 am

I am from Manitoba. I think we have something similar coming in due to carbon tax, but our premier caved pretty quickly. I was just a little shocked when I was reading the sticker on the pump here in Melville that laid out the various taxes on fuel. Could be worse I suppose. Plus my fuel is reimbursed so...

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:00 am

Manitoba. I love fishing at Lake of the Prairies. Usually go to the boarder East of Yorkton.