Deck Stair Railing

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Smitty

Deck Stair Railing

Post by Smitty » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:14 am

Shannon let me start off by saying how much I enjoy your youtube videos - very informative and I love how you show your mistakes or issues.

I have replaced the railing on my deck with the metal balusters and cedar 2x4 top and bottom rails (thanks to the youtube videos) - I have made it to my stairs - but I can't seem to get the angle or height correct on my stair railing. I am using Nuvo Iron balusters and connectors, I contacted them with my issues and they told me that my railing must be at exactly 34 degrees for the connectors to line up properly.
I am relatively new to this type of work - so my question for you is - how do I get 34 degrees exactly - I have a angle finder - but is there an easier way? I thought if I cut a 34 degree angle on one end of the 2x4 and place it flush on my 4x4 post - then scribe on the 2x4 where it will be flush on the other 4x4 post that should give me a 34 degree angle - is that correct?
If I do the same procedure for both the top and bottom 2x4 rails I should have the angle correct?
I have attached a pic of the area I am trying to place the railing (the 2 uncapped posts)

Any help or tips are appreciated
Thanks
Smitty
Stairs.JPG
Stairs.JPG (91.2 KiB) Viewed 112 times

Shannon

Re: Deck Stair Railing

Post by Shannon » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:01 am

The problem will be that your stairs may not be 34 Degrees. Lay a 2x4 on the stair noses and against the posts . Trace a line onto the 2x4 against a post and see what that angle is actually. If its close to 35 you should be ok. If it is not you may have to improvise and actually drill holes in the 2x4s on the correct angle and use the holes instead of the little plastic studs.This will be a pain and likely only doable if you have a drill press and some patience.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:07 am

Thanks Shannon for the fast reply - I will try that when I get home today.
Stupid question - how would I get the angle on my drill press - by tipping the wood?

Thanks again
Smitty

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:57 pm

Most drill presses will allow the work plateform to tilt.
If it does not tilt you could build a jig
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:43 am

Ok thanks