deck framing 2.0

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
craftyvulpine

deck framing 2.0

Post by craftyvulpine » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:04 am

I'm basically doing the same deck as ming viewtopic.php?t=6816

But I'm doing a floating 15x28ft deck using 2x10 boards over either deck block piers or foundation screws, set ev 7 feet. (5 piers/screws). It's going over old driveway gravel that has been there for years. The extended part of the deck will be over an area which has turned into soil/grass. Underneath the compacted driveway gravel is super dense clay.

I don't want to use a ledger because our part of the house is a converted garage. The deck is going right outside the large kitchen window where the garage doors used to be. I'm not sure if the renovation was done to any kind of code and the baseboard heater for the room is right there too. So, screwing into the concrete there makes me nervous. We're not walking out onto the deck, just having it right beside the front door, which is at ground level because it's the garage.

We typically get -5C in winter with 2 or 3 feet of snow. And the winds can be high. The frost level is 12in.

Questions:
How much space should I leave in between the deck and the house?

I was thinking of using deck block piers and sinking them into the ground about 4 inches to give stability. Is this enough for a deck of this size? Or should I try to use the foundation piers? Would having the deck be floating and unanchored warp the boards faster, even though it's huge?

btw I have loved your videos Shannon and now love drywalling too. By following your videos, I've custom made a closet, two corner walls, and our pantry, which all needed detailed and creative framing and drywalling.

craftyvulpine

Re: deck framing 2.0

Post by craftyvulpine » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:23 am

Maybe the foundation screws wouldn't work because there is no lateral line anchor? (like it's not attached to the house or anything). Darn.

Then if I go with concrete deck blocks, sunk into the ground for stability. How does one make the deck blocks more stable? Should I just place 2x10s into the slot or use a 4x4 post part to support the beams? Do I use the same plan with the deck blocks as with the screws?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:49 am

Unless your region requires the deck to be secured to the ground I would just use the blocks either sunk into or sitting on the ground level. Most of those blocks will not allow a double beam to be set into them so I would use a post and set the beams on the posts and attach and joists on the beams and attach. The problem here is that you will soon be up off the ground at least 18-24 inches to top of decking. So if you need to lower that you need to either bury PT beams in the soil and place the joists on that or use "flush" beams. These would be beams put in place and the joists would hang from the sides of them off of joist hangers.
Do any of these options sound ok?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

craftyvulpine

Post by craftyvulpine » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:36 pm

Could I use a 2x10 in the single tread of the deck block and rest a 2x8 on the side of block? And bolt them together. That would reduce the height and provide adequate sturdiness? I don't see this done on the net. From your past posts, I deduced that a 2x10 is the way to go, but a2x8 is ok?

Could I drill a hole into the centre of a post and put post holder into the post through the deck block (https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.4-in ... 66189.html)

I don't see how a 4x4 post resting in the deck block as very secure. How do you secure the 4x4 post into the concrete block? I'm imagining that you are suggesting using these on top the post. https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.adju ... 46289.html

There are the foundations screws for $22 (https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.pyle ... 10907.html). It comes to about the same cost as a deck block + post holder. I don't get how the deck blocks are cheaper or better. Cept that it might be hard to screw it into the ground.

Height is hard! I'm nervous to test my skills building steps. And we have a gate with an arch that would butt right against the deck, making it possibly dangerous to step down from the deck. I'm now thinking I'll have to build a mini-step/deck right on the other side of the gate anyway.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:48 pm

Ya your 2x10/2x8 trick would work.
The post sitting in the block is not great unless your deck is low IMO. That bracket would work just as well and keep your beam low.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

craftyvulpine

Post by craftyvulpine » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:56 am

Great. I'll do that. It seems more secure, especially with a bracket.

So, I'll do the 2x10 + 2x8 and double secure it with a bracket.

You rock! Thank you for your help!