BAYO.S Screw piles (ground anchors)..question...

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
kenora

BAYO.S Screw piles (ground anchors)..question...

Post by kenora » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:28 pm

I would like to use the BAYO,S system as a replacement for either sono-tubes and concrete or concrete pads over gravel to build a 12x16 ft shed.
I'm in Kenora NW Ontario and it gets cold (like -40c cold) and stays cold (usually -25c ish for 8-12 weeks each winter) so frost is a major concern.

Will a screw pile work? How deep do I have to go and how many...I want to park 3 atvs and a garden tractor in the shed over the winter...so about 3000 lbs on the floor.

I appreciate any insight...thanks

Tim

Shannon

Re: BAYO.S Screw piles (ground anchors)..question...

Post by Shannon » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:10 pm

I have never built a shed that needed to be on concrete piles or screw piles but if that’s what you want.. why not!
The design will depend more on the size of the shed. So what were you thinking?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

kenora

Post by kenora » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:20 am

Thanks for the reply.... my thinking is... the sandy sidehill I have to build on will be cause any concrete pads to sink unless I add a bunch of gravel and compact it.
A truck load of driveway gravel delivered is about $600, then moving it (by wheelbarrow) and renting a compactor ($120) and the concrete pads ($100). So about $800 and a sore back.
THe BAYO.S is available at the local Home Hardware store and at least according to their website looks just about ideal... problem is I can't find anyone that has used one. I am concerned that they only penetrate the dirt about 4 ft.....
Price would be about the same for 6 of the piles.
I was thinking one at each corner of the rectangle and two in the middle
X........X........X
. .
. .
X........x........x

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:49 am

These piles are extendable so you can go deeper if needed. A rule of thumb is to have piles deeper then the frost line to prevent heaving. You say you are on sand and generally sandy soil does not have a real problem with heaving so I'm not sure this is really an issue for you.

what are the dimensions of the shed you have planned? Your support plan would be ok if you are using 4x4 skids on the piles and 2x6 floor joists in the shed. And the shed size was say 10' x 10'.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

kenora

Post by kenora » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:32 pm

12x16

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:56 pm

Well I would say if you place your 4x4 beams at 8’ apart and use 4 screw piles under each one you will be fine. The shed floor would then have 2x6 joists spaces 16” oc