Chimney Framing

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
RDMLW

Chimney Framing

Post by RDMLW » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:48 pm

New to the forum so I'd appreciate some good feedback/guidance.
I recently removed a couple strips of water damaged hardboard (Masonite) siding from the exterior of my chimney and noticed a lot of rotted wood (OSB ?) and framing. I originally thought this damage may have been caused by improper installation of the wood deck, but damage seems to extend higher. However, I'm not sure if the root cause is a poorly installed cap at the top or poorly installed roof flashing. I'm a decent handyman around the house so I believe I can handle this repair, if I know the proper steps. Please advise.

A. Spruce

Re: Chimney Framing

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:56 pm

The first thing you have to do is determine the source of the problem, simply replacing bad materials for new isn't necessarily going to cut it.

If the damage is only a foot or so above the deck, then the deck may be the cause. The repair would include flashing the ledger and installing the materials so that water cannot be trapped against the framing and siding.

If the damage extends several feet above the deck, then the deck itself isn't the issue, but could be contributing, depending on how it was installed.

You might consider pulling the top cap off the chimney to look down the framed cavity to find the point where the damage starts. It could be the cap itself is damaged, or the fasteners are leaking.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:57 pm

Posting some pictures would help too. Use the attachment feature below the response box where you type your messages.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:05 pm

Hardboard type sidings I find are prone to leaks from joints, corners and protrusions as well. Remove hardboard until you find the rot stops and this may lead you to the root of the problem.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

ronan01

Post by ronan01 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:08 am

Tear off the damaged hardboard and replace it with fiber-cement siding.