Ledger Board or Beam?

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Nick64

Ledger Board or Beam?

Post by Nick64 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:44 am

Hello, I’m rebuilding my deck and after taking out the old one, I realized it had a ledger board screwed on the exterior brick veneer. I can’t install a new ledger board there because it is against code and a bad idea.

So I was looking for some help on how to install a beam there. One option I thought was to drill holes on the concrete for anchor brackets but parts of the slab have sunk. Another way to do it would be to dig holes 2 or 3 feet away from the wall and pour concrete footings but there is not enough height for the joists to sit on top of the beam.

I think the only option would be to put the concrete footings as close to the wall as possible so that I can mimic a ledger board. However the anchor brackets would not sit in the middle of the concrete footing. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nick
IMAG0318.jpg
IMAG0318.jpg (76.43 KiB) Viewed 155 times

Shannon

Re: Ledger Board or Beam?

Post by Shannon » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:22 am

You could build this deck with a" flush beam". So basically cut the concrete and pour piles needed for the span and size of beam, install the beam either on some type of deck post stand or wood post . The the joists are hung off the side using metal joist hangers. If you do this I would run the beams perpendicular to the house so that you get a joist real close to the wall.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Nick64

Post by Nick64 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:15 am

Thanks for your response. It didn't cross my mind to change the direction of the beams to be 90 degrees from the house. That would also make the deck boards to be perpendicular but I suppose it would have to be that way.

The only caveat is that I would need more beams a little closer together since I will be hanging joists on both sides of the inner beams. The deck extends to the left past the house. The house wall is 18 ft and the deck extends another 12 ft. Thanks again.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:39 pm

Yes you need 3 beams all together. Use 2x8 joists ,16” o.c.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Nick64

Post by Nick64 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:59 pm

Thank you Shannon, appreciate your help.