Using a Guardian (or a similar safety device)

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
rchesterton

Using a Guardian (or a similar safety device)

Post by rchesterton » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:10 pm

Has anyone had experience using a "guardian" or another type of device for safety while working on the roof? I have a fairly aggressive pitch, three stories up, and need to get a snake into my corner downspouts because the gutters are clear but the downspouts are jam packed with debris. I am terrified to get that close to the edge with nothing securing me. Thoughts on purchasing a "guardian" or other type of safety device?

Shannon

Re: Using a Guardian (or a similar safety device)

Post by Shannon » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:56 pm

Sorry no experience with those roof attachment products.
The main problem I see is you still need to get up there and install it with no fall arrest protection. If that is doable then you should be fine afterwards and hooked on properly.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:00 pm

Yeah, I can't help here either.

I would be more inclined to take the downspout down and clean them that way, if not replace the elbows with full dimension elbows instead of cut elbows. Every cut elbow I've seen has been restricted down to about half the diameter of the pipe, which means that every leave and speck of dirt is going to get trapped and cause back ups. This is something you don't need, ESPECIALLY three stories up on gutters that are difficult to access.

Lastly, if you are not good with heights and being close to the edge of a roof, DO NOT go up there! Leave it to a pro. I limit myself to 4/12 pitches and a max of two stories, anything more than that and I let someone else deal with it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

melanie55

Post by melanie55 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:16 pm

I advise you not to do it all by yourself. Take the help of some professional or an expert in doing such things. It can be dangerous.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:58 am

You may want to look at a pro coming in to clean the spouts and installing Gutter guards for you to keep stuff out. I have had some on my house for a few years now and they work well. Some pine needles and such may their way in over time but not enough to plug. I used to have to unplug my down spouts at least twice a year (usually in the middle of a storm) but not now.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

rchesterton

Post by rchesterton » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:20 am

Thanks for the help/advice - I will probably just stay off the roof for now and listen to you all.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:09 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:00 pm
I would be more inclined...
Good one. 8-)