Vinyl siding over stucco

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Helvey76

Vinyl siding over stucco

Post by Helvey76 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:05 pm

Hello, I have a brick home that is covered with stucco, the stucco is in fair shape, I just hate stucco. I want to put vinyl siding over it. The resources that I have looked at say I need to used concrete screws and attach furring strips to the stucco, and then nail the siding on. Number one question, is this correct? What size of furring strips would be best? How do I account for going around doors and windows? Thanks very much for your help. Have a good day!

Shannon

Re: Vinyl siding over stucco

Post by Shannon » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:08 pm

This is a real struggle for me I am not a fan of vinyl siding on furring strips because you then have nothing for support between them. Vinyl is pretty flexible and if someone leans or presses between the furring strips on the finished wall you may damage it? Also in strong winds will this allow it to flex enough to become loose or be damaged? Now that being said if you are using 1x4s or even 1x6s ripped in half for the furring strips and they are positioned 16" O.C. you likely will have little problems because there will be at most 13.5 inches between the surfaces of the strips.
So while I still don't like it I think it could be acceptable . When going around all obstructions you would also need to wrap the perimeters with a strap as well. Also I would use vented products along the base of the walls between the straps to prevent bugs and critters from going in but also to allow moisture out.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Helvey76

Post by Helvey76 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:38 am

Shannon, Thanks so much, I also thought about putting the foam insulation between the furring strips, so there wouldn't be that much of a space between the stucco and the siding. Thanks Again CLay Lamphear

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:44 am

yes that would not be a bad idea.
Also check with the siding manufacture to see if they recommend furring installations of their products.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Helvey76

Post by Helvey76 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:48 am

I just thought on one last thing, would using hammer drive anchors be good to get the furring strips to stay in the walls?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:06 am

No I would use a masonry screw/fastener like Tapcons

Clarence

Post by Clarence » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:25 pm

Are you thinking of fastening the furring to the Stucco ? If so you should not rely on the Stucco to hold the added weight. You need to attach to the substrate behind the stucco. If it is wood you would use a fastener for wood.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:01 pm

Clarence wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:25 pm
Are you thinking of fastening the furring to the Stucco ? If so you should not rely on the Stucco to hold the added weight. You need to attach to the substrate behind the stucco. If it is wood you would use a fastener for wood.
OP says they have brick under the stucco.

Clarence

Post by Clarence » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:41 pm

My mistake yes tapcons