First time installing factory built trusses on garage

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
LifeisGREAT!

First time installing factory built trusses on garage

Post by LifeisGREAT! » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:03 am

Shannon, have you ever done a video on installing factory built trusses on a garage? I had a garage fire and I ordered trusses already made and never installed trusses, and want to install them correctly, along with making a 1 foot over hang front and rear on gabble ends(i figured the 1 foot over hang when the trusses were fabricated), and also the proper way to start installing my plywood sheeting on top of trusses. thank you.

Shannon

Re: First time installing factory built trusses on garage

Post by Shannon » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:07 am

We do not currently have a video for this.

So is your package supplying "ladders" for the 12" gable overhang and shorter gable end trusses?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

LifeisGREAT!

Post by LifeisGREAT! » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:23 am

my existing burned garage is 24 ft across, i bought trusses 28 ft across, (cheaper than ordering custom made trusses), and once installed, figured I cut off the ends to give me the 1 foot over-hang. I do not understand what you are asking about package supplying ladders for the 12'' overhang...is there any good books out there you are aware of to help me out?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:24 pm

wait what?
So the trusses are how wide? The ends that sit on the walls (heals)are 28' end to end or the actual end of over hang is 28' end to end.
24' trusses should be a very common length measured from Heal to heal.
Trusses are designed to distribute the loads out to the ends where they sit on the walls, it is not a good idea to be cutting and re configuring them. That will never pass an inspection on sight unless you have some kind of approved drawing for what you are doing.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

DanM

Post by DanM » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:40 pm

IMHO you need to contact the truss manufacturer ASAP and clarify a few things with them. The picture below shows the end of a truss.

-The heel is the bottom of the L-shaped connection.
-The top chord is the angled piece of wood at the top that you'll be attaching plywood to.
-The bottom chord is the horizontal piece of wood at the bottom.
-The webs (there's only one shown in the pic, but there's typically a bunch of them throughout the truss) are the angled pieces going between the top and bottom chords.

The heels need to sit directly on top of the walls, so if your garage will be 24ft wide your trusses need to be 24ft from heel to heel. You CANNOT simply cut a truss to length after the fact. They're engineered in a specific way to provide structural support. The heel area is tied together with gusset plates and needs to stay intact. It's supporting the top chord directly, it's supporting some of the webs (which support the top chord), it's tying in the bottom chord (which supports both the ceiling below it and usually more webs which in turn support the top chords). If you cut them you will be comprising the design of the truss and it's going to fail. When it fails the truss company won't be responsible since you modified the truss, also your insurance won't cover it since you borked the installation.

The top chord overhang can be cut (only the portion overhanging past the heel though, you can't arbitrarily cut into the top chord anywhere you want). Usually when you order trusses you just specify how much you want the top chord to overhang so you don't have to cut anything when the trusses are up in the air.

Next up is ladders. The picture below shows the basic idea of what the ladders do (the pic is showing rafters, not trusses, but the basic idea is there). The ladders sit on the gable end truss and attach to the first regular truss. You can build your own ladders once the trusses are in but it's a hell of a lot easier to get them premade and just lift them into place and nail them on.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:52 pm

Great work Dan! This was a great post and explanation. I was going to get back to it but have been kinda tied up getting ready for a job this week.