need ideas for exterior

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
dunfeek

need ideas for exterior

Post by dunfeek » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:54 pm

Hello! We recently bought a very cute, but very tan house. Any ideas to spruce it up? I'm thinking white trim, or cedar shutters and cedar porch? Any other ideas that aren't too costly? Also, the windows are rather tall, so I'm wondering if shutters will even look OK?? I've attached a pic. Thanks for your help!!
Attachments
882293_lg.jpg
882293_lg.jpg (467.98 KiB) Viewed 135 times

DanM

Re: need ideas for exterior

Post by DanM » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:43 pm

Cheapeast and easiest way to de-tan the exterior would be to paint it. I can't tell what material the siding is (probably vinyl but it could be aluminium), and there's paint out there that will adhere to it.

dunfeek

Post by dunfeek » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:34 pm

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes it’s vinyl siding.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:53 pm

I agree, paint is your friend. Definitely make sure you use the appropriate type for aluminum/vinyl siding and trim. I would recommend a trip to your local paint dealer (avoid big boxes) and pick up a few exterior color charts. These will have various color schemes that go well together, such as tan (body)/brick red (front door)/white (trim).

Shutters would look fine, though I don't know that they're worth the expense, especially since it's vinyl siding so attaching them will not be so easy.

Landscaping, especially against the house. Even something as simple as a green bush will help break up the bland color scheme of the house and draw the eye elsewhere, though, something with some color would be nice too.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:07 pm

I would not paint the vinyl siding but I would paint the windows ,wood railing and post. If you wanted to spend a little more you could change out the soffit/fascia and trough as well. I would suggest white or a darker shade in the earth tones. Your front porch/step area there lends its self really well to faux stone or shakes also.
You have a great place for a flower bed or small shrubs under that window between the driveway and porch.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Nick M.

Post by Nick M. » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:29 am

I have had some decent results painting vinyl siding, but if you don't own a commercial grade sprayer I would not do it. The texture left from a brush is sometimes not pretty up-close. Also, some paints will warp your siding over time in the sun, so do some research if you go that route.

I agree to stick to painting windows and front
porch railings a darker tone of your siding. White would be nice too. Make sure to pick a color that fits with your roof color.(shingles).... Common mistake

A faux stone would look cool on the small wall to the right side of your front door

dunfeek

Post by dunfeek » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:40 am

Thank you all! Definitely needs some landscaping. I like the idea of adding feax stone too.