Shed without slab

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
tmccar

Shed without slab

Post by tmccar » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:46 am

I am thinking of building a shed and I would rather avoid having to put down a concrete slab if possible. What are the alternative ways to make the shed base (such as concrete blocks at each corner?

A. Spruce

Re: Shed without slab

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:21 pm

In my early days I built sheds, and this is what we did. The sheds had a wood floor, so we installed them over pavers. We'd buy 8x16 pavers and break them in half, giving us two for the price of one. We would then level the ground at each paver/pier location, then stack pavers to make up for grade differences and to have 3 to 4 inches under the shed for ventilation. On an 8x12 shed we would space 3 rows of 3 piers (9 total) down the length of the shed, meaning one row down either side and one through the center.

Now, the caveat here is that we are not in a frost zone, so we don't generally have much movement in the ground, unlike areas with heavy freeze that cause frost heaving and can move loose piers around. So, the above setup works fine for those in warm climates.

For climates that get freezing, you will want to put down a gravel pad to install the shed on. You can ring the pad with pressure treated wood to hold the gravel in place. From there the shed can be built directly on the pad, with or without a floor in it, just use pressure treated materials where it contacts the pad.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:26 pm

Ok, so you had 8x8 inch pavers at each "pier"?
And did you frame the floor with 4x2 PTs, spaced at 18"?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:51 pm

You can also frame the shed floor on 4x4 skids sitting in a flat gravel base.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:54 pm

Here are my shed videos , the one on framing the floor may help you out.
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh ... cacPD_Mbw4
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:26 pm

tmccar wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:26 pm
Ok, so you had 8x8 inch pavers at each "pier"?
And did you frame the floor with 4x2 PTs, spaced at 18"?
8x16 pavers broken in half to be 8x8.

Sheds were built on 2x6 pressure treated skids. Floor was framed 24" centers. 3/4" plywood floor, you might be able to get away with 5/8" if you want to save a few bucks. Wall framing will depend on what you're using for siding, we used 3/8" plywood siding, so we framed our walls at 24" centers. Refer to Shannon's shed vids if you're going with vinyl siding.

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:09 pm

Ok, thanks for all that information.
Shannon - for a 12' x 8' shed, how many 4x4 skids would you use?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:24 pm

3 skids, 12' long (run the 12' length of the shed), spaced 4' apart.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:44 pm

Yup 3 skids works good. If it’s just light duty stuff in shed you could go 2 skids and keep them in a foot from the outside edge for sure. By light duty I mean you are not keeping a riding mower, motor bike etc. Inside.

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:45 am

I will pribably go for 3 skids becsuse I have a fairly heavy workbench and I might be getting a table saw also.
Also, should I think about running power up through a duct at the same time as I do the floor?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:38 am

Generally power would come up out of ground through a conduit at an outside wall and then through the wall.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:52 am

tmccar wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:45 am
I will pribably go for 3 skids becsuse I have a fairly heavy workbench and I might be getting a table saw also.
Also, should I think about running power up through a duct at the same time as I do the floor?
An 8x12 space is not large enough for a tablesaw, even a small one. With the saw in the center of the room, you will only have about 5' of space in front and behind the blade, which isn't nearly enough for cutting much of anything, unless you only plan to work on miniature projects. IMHO, you want a minimum of 8' in front and back of the blade. Similarly with side clearance, if you put a bench against one wall and the saw in the middle, you aren't going to have any space to get around the saw, much less be able to use it safely.

If you plan to use the the shed as a wood shop, then I highly recommend you visit a tool showroom and start taking measurements of the various pieces you plan to have. Then start thinking about the amount of space you need around each piece to be able to use it safely and effectively. Back when I had my pro grade wood shop in my two car garage, the tablesaw took up half the garage and still wasn't really enough space. Half of a 2 car garage is around 10'x22'. Everything was on castered base so that it could be moved around and used, then moved back into storage position. I have woodworker friends who "work" out of an 8x12 shed and they literally have to move machines outside to be able to use them. Because of limited space, they are limited to very small projects, things like picture frames and cutting boards and coat racks. This sort of thing makes the whole idea of doing anything very unpleasant. This is why I recommend planning exactly what you want to do in/with the shed, then design it large enough to accommodate those needs.

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:12 pm

Ok, I didn't realise you would need so much space for a table saw. I may have to consider a bigger shed (or no saw!).

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:50 pm

Shannon wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:38 am
Generally power would come up out of ground through a conduit at an outside wall and then through the wall.
I see, yes - that makes sense.
Thanks Shannon

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:49 am

Shannon wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:54 pm
Here are my shed videos , the one on framing the floor may help you out.
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh ... cacPD_Mbw4
Could I ask what model of Dewalt circular saw are you using in the "Part 3 - Building and Installing Rafters" video?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:13 am

I honestly cant remember as i don't use Dewalt anymore. It was a good saw though one of the old 18 volt..