Carport concrete floor crack

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
blaubner

Carport concrete floor crack

Post by blaubner » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:49 pm

The concrete slab in my carport has some cracks in it. Looks like the previous owner used caulk to fill the cracks, but that caulking has weathered and is beginning to separate. Recommendations for leveling this slab? Should I consider using a self-leveling compound? The carport has a door to the laundry room. I’m a little worried that adding an inch of compound might restrict the door.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A. Spruce

Re: Carport concrete floor crack

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:43 pm

From the looks of it, there is something heaving up in the center of that slab. If you're in a frost zone, it could be frost heave. If you're in a temperate zone it could be tree roots. Another cause is that it's too thin and/or not reinforced, or, a combination of any of these.

There is no repair to what you have, it is compromised and the only repair is replacement, redoing it to the standards required by your municipality and environment.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:11 pm

Yes I agree simply just using a self leveller will be a temp. fix only. Replacement is the only permeant fix.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

blaubner

Post by blaubner » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:22 am

Thank you gentlemen for your input. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but now I know.