Flashing deck ledger on house with no house wrap between siding and OSB sheathing.

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
rflaugh

Flashing deck ledger on house with no house wrap between siding and OSB sheathing.

Post by rflaugh » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:51 pm

Hi Shannon,
Thanks for all the effort you put into these forums and YouTube videos. I have learned a lot from watching them. The dilemma I’m currently up against is that I’m replacing the deck on my 15 year old house with a smaller deck/landing going down to a new patio. It’s pretty small. My issue is that the house is vinyl siding directly over OSB sheathing with NO house wrap in between.

Info:
60” Ledger Board, and 51” joist span.
I’m going to use Deck2Wall Spacers so the siding will be removed behind the ledger exposing the flashing.
Using Grace Vycor Flashing behind ledger.
Using Grace Vycor Deck Protector on top of all framing, joists, ledger, beams and stringers.
Using Timbertech composite decking and aluminum rails.
Using 6x6 posts landing on StrongTie metal post anchors embedded in concrete peirs.

QUESTIONS:
My big question is how to flash that area because the flash membrane would be exposed to UV behind the ledger unless I put something over it like coil flashing. So, 1) would I have to tape the top of the Vycor flashing (circled in red on picture) with sheathing tape since there is no house wrap under the siding? Based on what I’ve read, the Vycor flashing would adhere to the OSB sheathing better than the Tyvek Tape long term. And, 2) Would I have to put a metal coil flashing or something over the exposed Vycor in order to prevent the UV exposure? If so, what would you recommend and how would you recommend that be done?
D2W Diagram.jpg
D2W Diagram.jpg (83.33 KiB) Viewed 84 times
Thanks a million for your time and advice!

Shannon

Re: Flashing deck ledger on house with no house wrap between siding and OSB sheathing.

Post by Shannon » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:28 pm

No sheathing tape ended , adhere the flashing tape to wall and install a strip of metal flashing as you suggested to cover any exposed flashing tape.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

rflaugh

Re: Flashing deck ledger on house with no house wrap between siding and OSB sheathing.

Post by rflaugh » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:01 am

Thank you Shannon, much appreciated! Here is a picture of my project. I should have included this initially. The new ledger board will just span from 12" left of the sliding door opening to 14" to the right of the opening. Then the whole right side is stairs running down the side of the wall and landing just beyond the bumpout.
Deck Ledger Board.JPG
Deck Ledger Board.JPG (640.75 KiB) Viewed 73 times
Here is a pdf attachment of what the final project should look like. Not sure if this will preview.
Back Yard Plan C.pdf
(145.18 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:03 pm

Ok well good luck with your project, it will be nice when completed!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon