vinyl over lap siding?

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
DarrellW

vinyl over lap siding?

Post by DarrellW » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:59 am

Hi all, nice forum here.

I have a two story with full attic build in 1929. "Balloon" construction. Way overdue for a paint job. Lead is present unfortunately. I have peeling paint, especially on the south side. I tested a chip with at home lead test kit and not surprisingly it lit up red almost instantly.
I am kicking around painting vs vinyl siding. The existing cedar lap siding is solid as is the original tongue and groove sheathing. I blew in cellulose many years ago from the inside.
My main question is about house wrap if go vinyl route vs re-painting. Everything I read seems to indicate fan fold foam board to even out surface plus house wrap over the original lap siding. (Although I'm unclear as to the order). I am concerned with adding house wrap to a 90+ year old house with limited insulation and plaster walls. I don’t really understand why house wrap is required here?
The windows in the house were replaced with vinyl inserts ~ 20 years ago and they work fine, so I am not changing windows and thus also concerned with not losing the detail of window and side trims. It is not ornate, but still more detail than having j-channel around the sunken window opening like I see to often.
IMG_0163.JPEG
IMG_0163.JPEG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 78 times
IMG_0162.JPEG
IMG_0162.JPEG (715.17 KiB) Viewed 78 times
IMG_0158.jpeg
IMG_0158.jpeg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 78 times
05517005-2.jpg
05517005-2.jpg (567.41 KiB) Viewed 78 times

Shannon

Re: vinyl over lap siding?

Post by Shannon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:22 pm

I love the character of those homes but hate the upkeep of the exteriors. Unless you do an absolute perfect job with the prep work and paint you will be back to the same position in less then 5-6 yrs for sure.Its a lot of work and effort to get these right.
With adding vinyl siding you do get rid of the bulk of the painting work but there will still be a fair bit unless you go full bore on a maintenance free exterior and start using new products to replace some of the wood detail as well.
Either way back to your questions, house wrap is really the "tar paper" we used years ago under all exterior finishes to act as an extra barrier against water that gets past them. With vinyl siding it is not a water proof finish by any stretch of the imagination, water does get past it at many positions and you for sure need the house wrap to help direct this moisture to the ground and not into the wood walls. House wrap does also allow the wood under it to breath if any moisture does get back there either from the exterior or through the walls from the interior.
Fan fold IMO is not really needed to flatten the wall, install the house wrap and side right over it if you want. I personally prefer to remove old siding layers and get right back to the flat wall and then install house wrap ,rigid insulation (to add R value if you want) and finally the vinyl siding. Most manufactures of vinyl siding produce a 4" lap version of siding that keeps the original look of what you have now. It usually has a triple row of 4" profile on each piece.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

DarrellW

Post by DarrellW » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:54 pm

Thanks so much for the fast reply! One thought I had for the trim boards on the corners and under Eves (and windows too I guess) is to install 1/2 pvc or similar trim and then butt j-channel up against that. Is that something that is ever done on the corners or would that fall under the categoey of “hack job” ? :).

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:35 pm

No that would be acceptable and is 1 way to keep the overall look close to original.
I see most of your window trim has a metal cap already installed and because the window trim already protrudes far enough you could likely leave it alone and use J around it.
Adding PVC trim over the corners and aluminum soffit and fascia would make things pretty maintenance free for years.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon