Flush beam deck

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
blaubner

Flush beam deck

Post by blaubner » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:49 pm

I'm trying to envision how to build a deck in my backyard. I do not want the deck attached to the home with a ledger board. I want the deck to float. The distance from the backdoor to grade is approximately 15 inches. Let me know if you disagree with any of these thoughts.

- I don't have enough clearance to run 10 inch beams with 8 inch joists over the beams. Hence, the joists will need to be hung from the beams and flush.

- The beams will need to run perpendicular to the house (joists parallel) so that I can leave enough space between the foundation and the concrete footings for posts 1, 2 and 3.

If I'm running my beams perpendicular to the house, what needs to happen where the beams meet the house? How close will I be able to hang a joist to the house? With the joists going parallel to the home my decking will go perpendicular. Can I hang a joist close enough to the house that the decking will cover the gap between home and joist?

Attached is a crude drawing I did in paint.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A. Spruce

Re: Flush beam deck

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:02 pm

Where I am, we have termites, so we keep a 1" gap between wood structures and the home OR install flashing between the two to prevent pest intrusion. Where this isn't a concern, a much smaller gap can be used. One thing to keep in mind here, if you've got leaves or needles that will be falling on the deck, a wider gap here and between boards will help pass this debris, rather than it getting caught in the gaps where it can cause rot issues.

With the layout in your drawing, you don't have to be any closer than about 6" with the beams/joists because the decking itself can be cantilevered the remaining distance without any problem (assuming lumber and not Trex-like material).
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

blaubner

Post by blaubner » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:37 pm

Thanks for the input, Spruce. Six inches seems like a lot of overhang for the decking, but I guess people won’t really be walking that close to the house anyways.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:12 pm

You will be hard pressed to flex a 6" length of 2x6. You can have whatever distance you like, just don't go under an inch or over 6" and you'll be perfectly fine.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:49 am

I agree, you won't have any problem with these suggestions.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

blaubner

Post by blaubner » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:17 am

Thanks for weighing in, Shannon.

Another question for those interested. I'm going back and forth on how to anchor the posts to the ground. The clearance between deck top and grade is tightest right off the back door at 15 inches. That doesn't leave a lot of space for the post after you subtract the height of the decking, beam and proposed footing. See my diagram attached. Is the post still structurally sound after getting notched? The footing is poured cement one inch above grade with one of those (expensive, Jesus) adjustable post bases.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:55 am

Pour your piers taller and put the beams directly into the APB.

blaubner

Post by blaubner » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:08 pm

I like that idea. Thank you.