Lean-to shed

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
tmccar

Re: Lean-to shed

Post by tmccar » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:04 pm

Yes that would be more manageable-I might do it like that.
Help may be hard to find!

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:22 am

I finally got started on the concrete slab, after buying a mixer. 50% of it was enough for me for one day! I'm a bit disappointed with the rough surface finish, but my tools were fairly basic.
Also, the gravel we bought has a high proportion of small stones, which can be an issue when trying to "float" .
20190929_175716.jpg
20190929_175716.jpg (270.65 KiB) Viewed 302 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:04 am

Concrete is a tricky beast and takes a lot of practice.This is why I suggested smaller portions that armoire manageable . What you did looks ok especially for a first timer. You have no doubt learned a few things that you can implement on your next section. Good luck and thanks for the update.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:54 am

Part of the purpose of the troweling process is to push those rocks down into the mud and create a layer of "cream" over the top. It is this cream layer that allows for a fine finish.

Part of the problem working with a mixer is getting enough concrete on the ground to be finished before it starts to set because once it starts setting, you're not going to be able to push rocks down into the mud, resulting in less cream on top to be able to get a good finish.

For future reference, you did not need the form boards against the walls, only one at the open back and the front where you ended the slab. These two edge boards alone would have sufficed for your screed surface and you would have had nice tight joints along the walls. Another option would have been to use felt expansion joint material, still unnecessary, but not out of place either.

What you CAN do is for your next section, remove the center form board and pour your new concrete right up against the previous pour, using the previous pour as your screed point. You will still have what's called a cold joint for the concrete to flex/move, you don't need anything in the joint.

The only other minor thing would have been to use an edge tool to round the top corner of the slab, which looks a little nicer and helps to prevent chipping of the edge in use. It would also make the center seam look nicer.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:10 pm

Ya good point Spruce I never noticed the edge forms, not needed at all in this case.
Just one more thing I would add ,if you think the next pour is going to be to much to deal with again just split what you have left in half again. You could even do it the other direction if that makes things any easier? You can get around from side to side without walking around building.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:14 pm

Shannon wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:10 pm
Just one more thing I would add ,if you think the next pour is going to be to much to deal with again just split what you have left in half again. You could even do it the other direction if that makes things any easier? You can get around from side to side without walking around building.
I would have split this into 4 equal squares and poured the opposite corners first, pulled the center forms and pour the other opposing corners. Or, to make less work, one corner at a time. Either way, plenty of work space, definitive edges to easily work, and easy to stop/start as the need/mood sees fit. 8-)

FWIW, this is how I poured my patio, which was five sections that were 8'x10'. Everything was formed and I poured every other section. A week later, I pulled the divider forms and poured the remaining sections against the new pads, no expansion joint materials were used against the building or between the slabs.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:00 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:14 pm
Shannon wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:10 pm
I would have split this into 4 equal squares and poured the opposite corners first, pulled the center forms and pour the other opposing corners. Or, to make less work, one corner at a time. Either way, plenty of work space, definitive edges to easily work, and easy to stop/start as the need/mood sees fit. 8-)

FWIW, this is how I poured my patio, which was five sections that were 8'x10'. Everything was formed and I poured every other section. A week later, I pulled the divider forms and poured the remaining sections against the new pads, no expansion joint materials were used against the building or between the slabs.
Yes that is a great way to go for sure.

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:06 am

Yes, I have actually done a second pour that is half the remainder - much easier to deal with! And of course I can see now that I didn't need the side forms - I will probably take them out and fill in the gaps. Also good to know that the "cold joint will work.

melvingoodman

Post by melvingoodman » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:56 am

You can hire, some contractor to manage your concrete slab

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:34 pm

melvingoodman wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:56 am
You can hire, some contractor to manage your concrete slab
I suppose I could, but that sounds rather expensive!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:23 pm

I'd guess around $800 to hire a pro PLUS the cost of concrete. Not terrible, but if you're handy and on a budget, this is something that is easily done yourself, as evidenced by you doing it yourself. :mrgreen:

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:15 am

Well I got it finished in 3 sections.
20191007_183650.jpg
20191007_183650.jpg (265.14 KiB) Viewed 261 times
Next I plan to bolt 6x2's to the slab in a rectangle, and do a framed wall on the right-hand side (with joists at 18" centres)
Then I plan to attach the saddle to the left-hand wall, and run ceiling joists on the same centres as the wall joists.
C1.JPG
C1.JPG (65.62 KiB) Viewed 261 times
C2.JPG
C2.JPG (59.97 KiB) Viewed 261 times
C3.JPG
C3.JPG (25.33 KiB) Viewed 261 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:45 am

16" and 24" are the typical wall stud and roof rafter spacing. Unless you're expecting snow loads, I think 24" centers would suffice. Aligning your rafters over your wall studs is an excellent idea.

Curious why you've chosen to slope the roof forward to the "entrance" side of things instead of out the back where it doesn't matter OR off to the lower right side? Two things with this, first, sealing the roof against the wall will be a chore and likely a constant headache/leak. Second, the runoff is in the entrance/driveway where you're always going to be. If you run it off the back or right side, nothing to worry about.

If you slope from the high wall to the low wall (existing cinder block walls), it will be far easier to tie the roofs together in a watertight fashion.

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:40 am

I think you may be misinterpreting my drawing. I am sloping it towards the right (the old sloping wall).
The "entrance" is open as yet, but I will be putting a framed wall with a door here.
I intend to have a framed wall at the back also.
Yes I think I'll go for 24" centres.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:13 am

tmccar wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:40 am
I think you may be misinterpreting my drawing. I am sloping it towards the right (the old sloping wall).
Maybe, it just looks like you've got a forward rake on the roof, not a slope down to the right.

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:11 am

Yes, I think it's an optical illusion. (Perhaps because the left-hand block wall if falling away from front to back. But the front view ("C3" shows the angle that all the rafters are lying at.)

I haven't given up on the idea of extending the left iron roof - if i go with that, I would be following the slope on the existing shed from front to back

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:38 am

tmccar wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:11 am
But the front view ("C3" shows the angle that all the rafters are lying at.)
I see that now. I would definitely raise the tall wall rafter attachment point up to the top of the wall and splice into the existing roof on top of the higher wall. You will have a heck of a time getting and maintaining a seal against that block/stucco wall. If you tie the roofs together, no problems. 8-)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:33 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:38 am

I see that now. I would definitely raise the tall wall rafter attachment point up to the top of the wall and splice into the existing roof on top of the higher wall. You will have a heck of a time getting and maintaining a seal against that block/stucco wall. If you tie the roofs together, no problems. 8-)

I agree with that, it will give a better look as well. Not so many different roof pitches going on.

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:44 am

Yes, I think I'll go for extending the existing one.

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:19 pm

A question about the rafters that will be hanging off the "ledger" - should they be sitting square to the top of the ledger(A), or vertical (B)?
c4.JPG
c4.JPG (23.4 KiB) Viewed 202 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:43 pm

Square to the ledger (A)

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:05 pm

Shannon wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:43 pm
Square to the ledger (A)
Ditto

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:44 pm

When doing the framed walls, should I fix a frame to the concrete slab first (under each of the 3 walls), and then fix the walls on these?
Or should I make up the walls, and fix through the bottom plate directly into the concrete?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:53 pm

You only need a single bottom plate. Use pressure treated because you're going against concrete, build your wall, stand it in place, then expansion bolt or tapcon it to the slab. Because you're captive between walls, you don't need much, unless you foresee the existing buildings coming down.

Top plates are typically doubled, this is to tie wall sections and corners together, but again, for your purposes, you could get away with a single plate.

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:08 pm

Great, that'll save me a bit of lumber. And I might go with one top plate, because the long side wall is at an angle of 5.5 degrees, so it wouldn't tie in very well with the back and front walls.

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:08 pm

I am going to extend the existing iron roof, laying rafters straight across from the ledger that I will fix to the wall. These will follow the slope of the old roof.
So I have duplicated this slope on the top plate of the right hand wall, where the ends of the rafters will be sitting. Is it ok to do it like this? (That is, to have a slanted top wall plate)?
( It's about 5 degrees)
R3.JPG
R3.JPG (54.53 KiB) Viewed 173 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:21 pm

Perfectly fine. If you are not attached to the walls beside this new building or sheathing on the new walls then I would maybe add a cross brace across the studs. May be over kill but just in case you get “racking” under a snow load or something.

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:08 am

Ok, great. And I was wondering about that door opening also -would you recommend cutting through the bottom wall plate? And if so, does this not weaken the wall structure?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:05 pm

Ya for sure you can remove the plate in the opening

tmccar

Post by tmccar » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:05 am

For the corrugated iron roof, should I place purlins across the rafters?
And should I have felt (or other material) between the rafters and purlins, before the iron sheets go on?
c4.JPG
c4.JPG (93.89 KiB) Viewed 149 times