Treated lumber shrinking

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Chase0150

Treated lumber shrinking

Post by Chase0150 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:21 am

I installed treated thick decking, 16' long, installed all tight up to one another (as I know there is some shrinking as they dry out) but I now have 3/4-1" gaps between multiple boards, also I had some cup on the ends. These were installed 4 weeks ago.
This is the worst I've ever experienced.
My question is... The lumber I got was very heavy with water, like it was a new delivery. should have I tried to find ones more dried out? Should have I put them in the garage for a few weeks to dry out more?
Did I just get bad lumber?
Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

A. Spruce

Re: Treated lumber shrinking

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:39 am

Nature of the beast. If you had left them to dry, they would have cupped and warped far worse because they were not being held flat by fasteners.

If you don't like the gaps, reset the boards with smaller/no gaps.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Re: Treated lumber shrinking

Post by Shannon » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:59 pm

That is a very big amount of shrinkage. A lot of times you get a few like that in lifts, they are shipped very wet and slowly dry out once the packaging is opened. Unfortunately like Spruce said its the nature of the beast.I may have let them dry for a day or two first but you will get more upping for sure.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon