Pouring concrete around foundation

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
stratusdodge

Pouring concrete around foundation

Post by stratusdodge » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:49 am

Hello all - I have a noticeable gap between the ground and the concrete facade around this house. I want to fill in the gap below the foundation with concrete, but how would I do this without creating a big protruding mess? Ideally it would be flush with the rest of the house. Any recommendations?

Shannon

Re: Pouring concrete around foundation

Post by Shannon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:36 pm

You will not really get that to look great unless you also parge the entire foundation to match it all up. You can however try, I would use a mix of low shrink grout. Mix smaller amounts in a pail and fill the cavities with it. Then smooth it out with a block of wood.You can always parge the wall after if you do not like the results.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:00 pm

I can't tell from the pix what's going on at ground level, but agree with Shannon, that parging the foundation wall will be the way to go to pretty it up.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

stratusdodge

Post by stratusdodge » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:50 pm

What’s happening at the ground level, is that the soil beneath it is now visible. Whereas at one time the ground is level with the foundation.Now I would like to square it off by filling it in with concrete but I wanted to be flush with the upper portion.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:01 pm

So, you're saying that the foundation is now being undermined and you want to fill this undermining with concrete, correct?

Unfortunately, concrete isn't going to fill that void or stay in place long, simply because it isn't something that can be "patched". You might get the concrete to key in under the foundation, but you're pretty much guaranteed that the patch is going to crack and fall out within a year or two.

You absolutely want to stop the undermining, or else you're going to start having problems with the foundation itself
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

stratusdodge

Post by stratusdodge » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:37 am

So I filled it in and it seems to have worked out perfectly.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:24 pm

Hope that works out for you ,It for sure cleaned the area up.
Here is a tip for your next concrete project.
You see the open pockets you have in a few areas along the face? Next time while the concrete is still wet use a hammer to vibrate the form a little to let out trapped air and settle fines into this pockets. Just tap the wood form face a 3-4 times every 6 inches or so, then finish topping up the form and finishing the top.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon